Slightly bowed 18mm Ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Burgess

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some 18mm ply that I veneered for a cupboard door and on checking before fitting it has bowed slightly. Should I scrap it and start again or can I fix it??
I would have scrapped it but the veneer matches the panels on each side
Any ideas please.

Barry,

Is this a frame and panel door? If so the frame may hold it flat if it is not in wind and the frame is well made. If it is not intended to be a frame and panel construction, would you consider doing it this way?

If the panel were veneered recently and depending on the glue you used, it may just be taking a while to dry on the convex side. Lay it flat on the floor with the convex side up and see how it is in a day or so. (I take it you did veneer both sides??)

Its a panel door and I was about to veneer the other side when I noticed the bow and tested in the cupboard.
Thanks

Barry,
As I guess you know, it is important to veneer both sides. If you do it one side at a time then it is usual to get a bow until the other side has been veneered too. Try to use similar amounts of glue for each side when applying the veneer so that the amount of moisture introduced to the panel is the same on each side

Back