Sliding wardrobe doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollie78

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am about to construct a new wardrobe / shelf unit in our bedroom.
I am planning to have full width sliding doors , possibly 3 or 4 sections one with a mirror on. I will probably make the whole thing from birch ply, it will have a few drawers and rails etc. all behind the sliding front.

My question is what is the best sliding door gear to use, or perhaps more importantly what not to use ?

I have had to do repairs and adjustments to a few sliding doors in the past and found most to be absolute junk.
I want them to be smooth to use wth no rattling etc. and last for a very long time because I don`t want to do it again.

Thanks

Ollie

Possibly not the answer you were looking for, but it might be worth thinking of building the interior yourself and getting the doors, sliding gear etc made?
I built a wardrobe with 3 sliding doors ~25 years ago. The wardrobes are built across the entire width of the bedroom (taking in the chimney breast) - width 3600mm, height 2380mm. The doors are faced hardboard (3mm) and came with edging strips / sliding gear that I needed to cut and fit. From memory, I bought the kit from MFI.
The interior shelves, hanging space I built from melamine faced chipboard.
Long story short, herself is fed up with the doors which to be fair are flimsy and rattle when they are moved so I had my orders to get new doors and sliding gear.
Like you I started to look around for ideas, materials etc but thought I’d have a look at a couple of suppliers to see if they would supply just the sliding doors without the interior and yes they all did. The price differential is pretty small and given that the choice of materials, mirrors and edgings is vast, I’ve decided to go down that route. I’ve had the survey and fitting is due in November (1 afternoon) so fingers crossed.
Maybe not for you but probably worth a look?

Hi

I am about to construct a new wardrobe / shelf unit in our bedroom.
I am planning to have full width sliding doors , possibly 3 or 4 sections one with a mirror on. I will probably make the whole thing from birch ply, it will have a few drawers and rails etc. all behind the sliding front.

My question is what is the best sliding door gear to use, or perhaps more importantly what not to use ?

I have had to do repairs and adjustments to a few sliding doors in the past and found most to be absolute junk.
I want them to be smooth to use wth no rattling etc. and last for a very long time because I don`t want to do it again.

Thanks

Ollie
I've not used any of their sliding door gear, but Hafele's stuff is usually well designed and made:

https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/products/products/huk_catalog/

Thanks for the replies.

I will look at the Hafele stuff they are normally good. The best I have seen so far are Hettich ones which look well engineered.

Glynne Your idea does have merit. It is exactly the ratling I want to avoid. The trouble I have issue paying for something I could make.

The problem is, its hard to tell from catalogues or internet videos what they actually feel like, hence my question.

Ollie

Back