Sliding track

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldel

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found a source of captive sliding mitre track at a reasonable price?
Axminster sell some but it is too big, clumsy and expensive. Ideally I require some about 1/4" to 3/8" deep by about 1/2" wide for making up adjustable work holding jigs.

I have been advised that yacht chandlers may stock it for sails etc. but have not found any yet.
I have found some stainless dovetail tracking as used in the PVC window trade but they are very short lengths.
I have done the usual google searches but found nothing yet.
C'mon Alf, you usually turn up trumps!
By the way the WoodRat Forum is back up again but all previous posts have been lost.

Hopefully Aldel.

aldel":1sczda8j said:
C'mon Alf, you usually turn up trumps!
Oh dear, a challenge. And I was just going to go and have me tea... Hmm, a lot of chandlers, but "T-track" to them seems to mean T-shaped pieces so that's no use. :? Ah, they just call it track, and being stainless it's pricy... Hmm, I'm not finding anything at all in addition to what's in that thread. :(

aldel":1sczda8j said:
By the way the WoodRat Forum is back up again but all previous posts have been lost.
D'oh!

Cheers, Alf

Didn't someone say Woodworker's Workshop or whatever they're called stock all the Woodpecker stuff? But perhaps that doesn't mean the Incra doo-dahs. Who's the Incra importer in the UK anyway? Perhaps if it was shown there was a demand...

Cheers, Alf

dp01.jpg

When I made this table for my DP, the track in the fence is from some "T"- shaped ally that I salvaged from a discarded bathroom shower unit. If you've not thought of it, perhaps a visit to a large plumbers' merchants might turn something up?

Ray.

I'd avoid the ship chandelers route if I was you - it's another hobby of mine, and the prices can be very scary! For some reason it is assumed that if you own a boat you have money to burn, also anything for a boat is likly to be high grade stainless steel and probably overkill for the workshop.

I'd go along with Ray's sugestion, or try ro find a supplier of Alu extrusions, I can't belive that "T-Track" is a particularly rare beast. Thinks for the idea ray, It just so happens I have an ols shower screen knocking around!

Les

Hi Aldel,
Have you considered making the track with a straight router bit and a key cutting bit, its not too difficult.
Also Tilgear sell the incra version
Roger from wwworkshop should be able to get it
Rutlands might also be able to get it if you ask,
Rockler USA ship it to the UK
Brimarc might also be able to bring it from Lee Valley,
Might T track USA also ship it in
Speak to your local aluminium extrusions supplier they might have something
available
I once got a quote to get the die made for it but they wanted a minimum order of £1000 which produces something like250 metres which equated to around £4 metre. i always thought the big tool companies would have sourced something by now.
I have found it easier to make my own with the 2 router bits
the stuff axminster do i have found to be more useful for a sliding mitre track than jig holding.
trend should really have something like this but they dont, they dont even have a router cutter suitable.
Not sure about wealdens they might do something
Amana do a good cutter for t track but again it would need to be imported
Axminsters perform range of cutters do one close to the size but nessitates two cuts

Hope this was of help
Ian

Back