Sliding Secateurs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
The latest addition to my gardening tool pile curtesy of eBay, some interesting secateurs by Kelson dubbed "Drawcut". The first pair I have restored that differ significantly from the "norm" of clipper/secateur design.

Kelson Drawcut Secateurs by Rhyolith, on Flickr

The top blade slides inward as they are closed, which results in a quite effective slicing action. Though I have only conducted a brief test, they do seem able to cut through thicker branches than most without much effort. They are well built to so I think they may well replace the aubert pattern aubert-pattern-secateurs-t107791.html as my favourite secateur design (that I own). Their only real weakness is the fairly large gap between the blades as they pass each other (good 1mm clearance) though this does not seem to affect the performance.

So far I have found no info on their age, where they were made (says "british made" on them) or anything else about Kelson. AndyT don't disappoint me :mrgreen:

edit: that little double rolled thing by the main bolt slides into the gap that the bolt slides along to lock them. you can see it in the last picture.

Long ago...

tools-by-rawlplug-t52022.html

From the 1947 patent I link to:
Such shears have previously been proposed in which the axis upon which the two blades are pivoted is off-set in relation to the line of the cutting edges of the blades so that a drawing cut is obtained when the shears are operated.

BugBear

Well, squinting closely at the pictures reveals a Big Clue in the form of the patent number 443392.

A quick look on Espacenet shows that this was filed by Herbert Kelly and Robert Kelly and Sons of Liverpool in December 1934. I think I can be fairly sure where the trade name "Kelson" came from as well. :D

kelson.png

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publica ... &KC=A&ND=4

Near miss, BB!

Robert Kelly and Sons seem to have been quite big tool dealers - this is their new shop under construction in the 50s

Renshaw+st+Kelly+s+construction+1956.jpg

http://www.liverpoolpicturebook.com/201 ... raphs.html

Attachments

• kelson.png
    kelson.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 948
Back