Sliding Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sxlalan

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking at buying a sliding mitre saw aroung the £200-£250 mark. On the list at present are the EB KGS 255, the Dewalt DW707 and the Rexon SM2151AL.

DOes anyone have any feelings on these? I have used the elusive search function on the forums and the EB seems to be reasonably well thought of. How useful is the laser light on the Rexon, and could a laser be fitted to the EB or Dewalt?

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan

I'm afraid I can't help with the saws (I have a DW712 myself and think it's very good) but here's a retrofit laser. I guess you'd just need to check there was a suitable mounting area on the machine

HTH

Hi Alan

I've got the earlier version of the DW and I have found it to be very good.

My only regret was that I didn't dig deeper and buy a bigger saw, but we can all be wise after the event.

Cheers
Neil

EB & Dewalt are both good saws, not sure about the Rexon though TBH. The specs are similar on the EB & Dewalt, apart from the EB having a trenching / grooving setting, and a 3 year warranty (vs 1 yr in the Dewalt).

I've got the above - great bit of kit - portable enough (just) with plenty of power. Once set up its pretty accurate - but does need regular checks.

The laser is a waste - it gets in the way, the beam is wide so you're never sure where the blade cuts - to the left, right or middle - and is easily knocked out of line! Took it off and not missed it!

Apart from that I love it!

Over here Dewalt sells a lot of saws but the "good guys" mostly use the new Bosch or Hitachi. The new Hitachi is nice because you can put it against the wall and still get the slide action. I got the 12" Bosch and its dead on when you cut miters rather than getting the little hollow that most saws give you .

Travis Byrne":3su957sd said:
Slim wrote
but the "good guys" mostly use the new Bosch or Hitachi.

Around here some of the good guys still buys Dewalt :wink:

Travis

Don't know about you "Sooners" Did some work in OK City and Tulsa for "Wet Seal" and "Talbots" Bet if you try the Bosch or Hitachi you'll want one :twisted: :wink:

The Erbauer ERB255GS 254mm Sliding Compound Mitre Saw is a dream to use imho. The laser guide is accurate and very easy to tune and the sliding operation is very well balanced and a pleasure to use, currently on offer from Screwfix for £129.99 and is 1000% better than the apaulling Sliding Mitre Saw effort from Axminster for a similar price. The Axminster excuse for a sliding mitre saw uses one tube which is very poorly balanced and the resulting cuts are usually out of square even after I'd checked everything was setup properly due to a wobble in the shaft as it slides into the base housing when cutting wide boards. The build quality was that found on cheap and nasty DIY store special offers that you see when leaving the shop, a complete waste of my hard earned money, a mistake I won't make again. I sold it on and put the money towards a proper machine, the Erbauer, no regrets whatsoever! I've owned and used the suberb Erbauer ERBMS10 255mm Compound Mitre Saw for two years now and that is a really great little machine. Belt drive, well balanced, well designed, accurate laser and smooth, quiet motor, I'm pleased to see the same goes for its Sliding brother.

Hi Alan,

I can't comment on the Rexon but the Dewalt and the Elektra Beckum both get good marks in several German woodworking forums. The main advantage of the Dewalt is its compact size IMO. The only drawback of this construction is that it doesn't slide as smoothly as most other SCMS. If you can spend a little more how about the Dewalt 701?
Personally, I just bought a Makita LS 1013 a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier with my choice.
I think most reputable companies offer good miter saws these days but none will be absolutely perfect. As a consequence I can only recommend to check out several saws at woodworking stores. Have a close look at them, play with them etc. It’s not too difficult to find out which saw meets your personal preferences best.

Regards,

Christian

Back