sliding mitre saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I am coming back to the mitre saw again , but having problems placing the saw . If I purchase a pull saw it will project too far into workspace, has any member fitted a saw of this type on a base that would push back onto the wall ofter having extended same.

John

John,

There's basically two types of SCMS. The design that has open bars that slide on the base of the saw (Makita, Electra, Hitachi, some DeWalts etc) and therefore project behind the saw and the type that have internal bars which slide in and out within the body of the saw (such as the dewally 703, I think) and thus do not require space to the rear.
I think the deciding factor will be cut capacity.

Rgds

Noel

John,

That's why I was looking at the DW707 - its guide rods slide into the body of the saw, rather than sticking out of the back, so you can keep it against the wall all the time. Might be worth a look. The alternative would be something on wheels I s'pose.

Cheers, Alf

Noel,

Isn't the 703 a straight chop saw? :? Maybe not... Dunno why the DeWallies have to make quite so many different models, makes it flaming confusing. :(

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

You could well be right. Dewally not being my favourite brand, I basically haven't a baldy notion which model I'm on about. And I'm quite happy to remain that way today....

Rgds

Noel, who is thinking and wishing he could return to the land of nod...

My sliding mitre saw has the slides projecting out the back. I made a temporary bench for it with my bench jointer in front of the saw. This means I have to lift the timber over the jointre to cut on the saw.
My solution is to make a dual height bench out of cheap 18mm plywood (Wickes). The mitre saw will be on the higher level at the back with the bench jointer on the lower level. This will have the lower top so the jointer table is slightly above normal bench height. OK, so I have to keep the bench away from the wall but intend fitting hardboard at an angle to allow the waste to fall towards the front of the bench where it can easily be swept up.

Thanks dewy, ;I like the idea of bringing the bench off the wall and then fitting back support for waste etc.
I didn't fancy having a mitre saw projecting out in the front bench area.

The only problem with having the jointer at the front with my arrangement is that the cutter guard stands out clear of the bench. This would be overcome by having the American type sprung cam guard as Rexon now fit on their 4" jointer. As my jointer table top is 8" above the bench, I can set the front top 8" lower than normal thereby making the adjacent bench top level with the jointer making a decent outfield table for longer lengths.

Dewy,

Maybe wrong but I thought the US type of guard (which I prefer) is not allowed on UK jointers. Those nice chaps at Heath & Safety reckon that the spring on the guard just might fail. Have things changed?

Rgds

Noel

Back