Sliding mitre saw worth extra cost?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HxCarpentry

Reaction score
Hi, looking to upgrade my compound Makita MLS100 mitre saw for something that can cut 4" timber.

I have been looking at 260mm mitre saws and I am torn between paying less for a standard model or just under £200 more for a sliding version. I plan to build a MFT table to use with my plunge saw, so I would be okay for cross cuts. Aside from the convenience of the mitre saw not needing setting up would I be missing out much?

Thanks

If you want to cut 4" timber, especially at an angle (mitre or compound mitre), the saw you propose is too small. You need 12" / 305mm. Mine is Bosch GCM12, and even that is close to capacity for some angled cuts (angles are obviously a deeper cut). Go large.

I managed for years without a sliding mitre saw.

But, like so many things, now that I have one I wouldn't like to go back.

I had one and got rid of it - it just took up too much space for the amount of use it got.

I wanted to square up a scrap block of 30mm ply today and the dimensions were about 30mm outside the reach of my non-sliding dewalt -very frustrating and I wished then that I had a slider, my block plane sorted it out but took much longer.

All depends what you need it for, for most furniture making you don’t need one assuming you have a table saw however for general diy, site work etc it’s a great tool.

Ive got the makita dls110z, 260mm battery one. Its a great saw, but...... as ajb temple said, really a 305mm would be better.
My first use for mine was zipping through a load of 4"x 10" oak sleepers, it was effortless, but the blade couldn't quite get the last 3 or 4mm. I put a 10mm packer behind the oak and it was fine, but at that very last bit the 4" was holding it off.
To be fair, i dont need to do that often and its a heavy lump to lug about.

Hi, looking to upgrade my compound Makita MLS100 mitre saw for something that can cut 4" timber.

I have been looking at 260mm mitre saws and I am torn between paying less for a standard model or just under £200 more for a sliding version. I plan to build a MFT table to use with my plunge saw, so I would be okay for cross cuts. Aside from the convenience of the mitre saw not needing setting up would I be missing out much?

Thanks
I ummed & aahed over the Bosch axial glide 305 for three years, finally bit the bullet and have never regretted it. Precise, cuts through oak like butter, big capacity and a joy to use. I did go the whole hog & got the wheeled stand too but it was the D&M Kempton show (dam it, living so near does not help my 'no more tools' issue when it's on!) so it had a bit of an offer on. Has saved me time and agro with many jobs, even the dust bag does a pretty good job (for once) if I don't connect my vacuum!

I've recently gone the other way, but my 260mm non-sliding mitre saw would be fairly useless for large projects, so the sliding saw is hanging on the wall now, rather than sold off.
I can't leave it set up because in have a narrow workshop and it just takes up too much width, so make sure you account for that.

Or get that Bosch compound arm saw that is on my dreamlist!! That can be set right up against the wall.

the slides give you so much more capacity its the way to go but think about space behind, I have the big Dewalt with stand but don't the room behind anymore in this workshop so I'm looking at selling and going for the Festool or Bosch

I've recently gone the other way, but my 260mm non-sliding mitre saw would be fairly useless for large projects, so the sliding saw is hanging on the wall now, rather than sold off.
I can't leave it set up because in have a narrow workshop and it just takes up too much width, so make sure you account for that.

Or get that Bosch compound arm saw that is on my dreamlist!! That can be set right up against the wall.
Yes my workshop is narrow too, I have the axial glide😍😍😍😍 the power is unreal! I do still drool over it 2 years on! 😂😂

just buy a scms.

i had a cms for a bit, that went bang. got a evo slider, that also decided it didnt like life, so i went and got a DLS110z. and as baldkev mentioned its a lump to move. in the ideal world i would have the corded 305 mil verson in the shop and have the 305 mil m18 milwaukee for out and about use. but..... i aint that rich.

some others recomeded the bosh, i dont have experience with it, but if the weight on the specs is anything to go by, then its a lump as well. ive also heard that the dc aint great on the bosh, and from personal experiance, the dc on the forward rail makitas is brillinant. as good, if not better than the kapex.

Go for it!! you will never regret having the extra capacity. Get a good big one

I have a 12 inch Bosch slider and am very happy with it. For me it is often convenient to use rather than setting up the table saw. The only issue I have is that when sliding the saw moves about 3mm sideways over the full slide range even though the blade stays at 90 degrees to the fence. On the Bosch User group site www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/community/category/gcm-12-gdl-sliding-arm-misalignment/12772603-t#main it appears to be not uncommon. I am told it also happens to other makes as well. So check any new saw to make sure the slider does not move sideways when sliding as there is no adjustment for it. Unfortunately I did not find this out until I had owned the saw for a few years. So for accurate long cuts I have to use the table saw.

I appreciate all the input. I have heard of some play in the larger sliding saws which is one factor that has put me off. Also depth is a key issue as I would probably have to put a sliding saw on a trolley cart and pull it forward for each use.

I'll be honest, I only currently need to cut 4" [planed so would be smaller] to build a new workbench, but considered future proofing for any potential future projects.

Still undecided. I think I might just stick with my saw for the time being and use a circular saw for the workbench and upgrade when I know I would actually get a lot of use out of the bigger saw. But then again if a used one pops up I'd probably get it anyway. haha

Back