Sliding dovetail coffee table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshjosh

Established Member
Reaction score
IMG_20200120_221314~2.jpg
Hi a few days ago I was asking for info on gluing a sliding dovetail and had some feedback on this coffee table design, some felt the lack of stretches at the ends of the end of table looked odd, here's the final piece ( I like the design but each to their own)
I decided to use a screw in the middle to anchor the sliding dovetail rather than glue, cheers for the advice Josh

Attachments

• IMG_20200120_221314~2.jpg
    IMG_20200120_221314~2.jpg
    992.5 KB · Views: 486
Can we get a shot under the top showing how it all works together?

Cheers

Fitz.

IMG_20200120_220844~2.jpg
Yes I don't have a photo of underneath but this photo from the end shows. The sliding dovetail rails are double Dominoed into the aprons

Attachments

• IMG_20200120_220844~2.jpg
    IMG_20200120_220844~2.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 413
Nice to see a piece of solid wood furniture on here. They're something of a rarity these days. But those cross-grain dovetails on the lower shelf ends have me a bit puzzled. What's the idea there?

Yes that's completely slipped my mind you're right, although I can't see that much stress being put on that joint

There is a (very) small chance that they theoretically could break if the shelf were to move/cup but
I doubt that they actually would.

I like the way the table looks light but also significant. I think it’s the floating top and the cut outs on the apron/stretcher.

I like the choice of boards used for the top and shelf, what is the finish?

I’d be concerned over the lack of support along the length of the top. People have a tendency to sit on coffee tables, I wonder how this design would cope.

Fitz.

That would work":3eh21gp0 said:
There is a (very) small chance that they theoretically could break if the shelf were to move/cup but
I doubt that they actually would.

You know this is elm, don't you?

edit......no it's not. It's oak.

I do know it is elm. On balance though the chance is still small. Its not what I would choose to do though... time will tell I guess.

Yes it's Oak, finish is fiddes hard wax oil wiped on and off with a pad

yes time will tell, obviously not ideal but I don't think it'll be an issue. (Will update if it is:) )

Latest posts

Back