Sliding door gear advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claptonkid

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm soon to build a run of wardrobes. It's a near 3m long run, i.e. 3 lots of 890mm wide x 1890mm high carcasses all fixed together. Made from 18mm MFC.

The client has specified sliding doors, but I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with straight sliding door gear which fixes into channels attached to both the top and bottom of the carcass?

This Hafele system, for example, looks good...

http://www.daro.com/eku-frontal-25-h-vorfront-fitting-set.html

...but it's both expensive and I think I might be on the cusp of its 25 kg weight limit, as I'll be using 3 doors in this instance. And that's with plain MDF - not mirrored front like he wants!

Can anyone offer an alternative system?

And lastly, what overlap should I use for the 3 doors? How much bigger than each carcass? 10mm?

I've attached the client's drawing of the wardrobes. Just ignore his 2 door idea (it'll be 3) and also the 6cm gap thing (adjustable feet will be used instead.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Karl

Attachments

• Wardrobe_Spec.jpg
    Wardrobe_Spec.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 52
I did these last year, due to the weight I went for Hendersons husky100

PICT0175.jpg

PICT0172.jpg

And I used the same stuff on this big 2.8x 1.2 slider

PICT0211.jpg

You could do two mirrored doors with the Husky gear provided you can get them up the stairs!! 15mm overlap is what I used so each door is half opening plus 7.5mm.

J

Very nice!

Was your gear attached to a carcass too? Or it that a frame construction wardrobe? This client has a massive damp problem, so I'm having to go the carcass route and leave gaps at the back of the alcove, top & sides etc for good airflow.

And I'm also severely restricted by a spiral staircase, so 1.5m wide mirrored door isn't really practical! Think I'll have to go with 3 instead. Bit of an awkward one access-wise!

So, what kind of door overlap would I use on 3? Carcass size plus what?

Thanks very much for your swift reply!

Regards,

Karl

The top of the carcases overhangs and the runners fit to that. I'll see if I can dig out my drawings.

Back