Sliding Compound Mitre Saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

has anybody got any recommendations/advice on Sliding Compound Mitre Saws. Going to be used primarily in the workshop to replace my mitre saw, with occasional mobile use when required.

makita/scheppach/ Elektra Beckum and bosch seem good on paper :?

cheers

Michel

I'd go with Makita every time......I've had my chopsaw for around 6 years now and its been to hell and back, but if you look after them and clean them up every once and while they'll work for ever and a day! I only just got the blade sharpened the other day!! Mind you, I used to clean it with that resin cleaner.......but still!!

I've also used a DeWalt, a Delta and a Scheppach.

If I had to purchase another chopsaw today I'd go for the Makita.

SimonA

All the brands you mentioned will be good quality, accurate tools.

Do you want an 8", a 10" or a 12" saw and what is your budget? All will give you around 280 to 320mm 90 deg crosscutting capacity, however the max. depth of cut will vary from 60 to around 100mm. One feature I would look for were I to buy another saw would be an accurate depth stop with fine adjustment, and one that can be set to depth but swung out of the way for full depth cuts without having to readjust the stop every time.. This is extremely useful for cutting halving joints and tenons etc.

The Electra-Beckums have induction motors which make them very quiet. The disadvantage though, is the extra bulk of the motor reduces the max. depth of cut for a given blade size. Belt-drive saws also are smooth and quiet.

The quality saws tend to have better precision gears, bearings and motors, and will work quietly, smoothly and without backlash, endfloat or other annoying attributes that can spoil the accuracy.

The Makita LS1013 is widely regarded as one of the best on the market, and thats the saw I would have - no question. They have also just launched the LS1214F - a 12" version, but of course they are expensive :shock: .

cheers

Ike

I have the EB induction motor saw, as has Charley. Great in every respect but, as you mention, only about 2" of cut. If I wanted another saw what would I go for? No 1 choice would be Makita. Next time you see one try rotating the table...we're talking smooooth, real smooth. Another saw I'd look at is the new Bosch, which was launched to dealers a couple of weeks ago. Only had a quick glance but some nice features - all table and angle controls at the front, control handle rotates 90 degrees to suit user etc. Direct competitor to the Makita and DeWally so imagine same price. Make in Taiwan, which is a bit unsual for Bosch. Anyway, let us know what you go with.

Noel

I have an Elektra-Beckum 301, which I am very happy with. It is a joy to use because it is so quiet, and now that I have spent the time setting it up it's very accurate. As Ike says the depth of cut is limited by the motor, but if you are just trimming or mitring an end the motor doesn't get in the way. The dust extraction doesn't work very well but no surprises there. The blade takes a long time to come to a stop which is why they sell the 331 which has an induction brake fitted to the motor.

Even quality tools are made to a price these days and I had to 'adjust' the blade guard return mechanism with a file to get it to work reliably. On balance it's a great machine so, if it meets the cutting capacity you are looking for, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

My son-in-law has just bought a cordless Bosch with 2 24volt batteries for £200 from Ridgeon's in Saffron Walden. They only had one and it was slightly dusty! I haven't seen it in action yet but it looks the business

Wulfric

all good advice from above, makita is a good choice as is elektra or axminsters version of same.
I had a dewalt DW708, worst saw i ever wasted my money on, after 3 attempts from dewalt to get it to cut at 45 degrees on both sides of centre i lost faith in it,they said the actual stampings must have been friday afternoon ones but 3 times to get it right. i also dont like 12" blades on mitre saws they just seem to be too flimsy for some reason i cant explain why just i didnt take to it. I even fitted a CMT blade to it but it really didnt change how i felt about it give me a 10" makita anyday.
I went back to my porter cable laser saw the same as norm used, its not got great capacity but is the best i've ever used
for my money either EB 331 nice and quiet or Makita 1013 lots of cutting capacity but definately a 10" blade or even smaller

hope that didnt confuse you
Ian

Michel,
I have a Scheppach Capas 3. Its noisy because of brush motor, its a derivitive, that is the Rexon is the same and so are several others, it has great capacity 107x312 and it is accurate. It weighs a ton, is awkward to move and spews out dust like confetti. I use it in a static mode and it is superb for what I need.

The EB or Makita saws are probably the best with good capacity. A Twelve inch blade is perhaps overkill for most jobs and 10 inch would be fine for 90% of tasks...you pays yer money and takes yer choice here.

regards

Alan

Makita LS1013 for me - it wasn't cheap, but once I got it home I soon realised where the money went - very nice to use. I actually went into the tool shop looking for one of the cheaper EB or Delta models, but (thankfully) they didn't stock them so I walked out with the Makita instead.

It has a brush motor, but don't let that put you off - after all, it's not as if the motor runs for that long anyway when you use it. Comes with a fold down stand which is sturdy but none-the-less easy to transport. You just take the saw off, kick the legs and it folds up flat - very clever design.

Martin.

Thank you for all your info :D

Looks like the Makita LS1013 is the best one out there for workshop and jobbing work, just one question regarding: -

One feature I would look for were I to buy another saw would be an accurate depth stop with fine adjustment, and one that can be set to depth but swung out of the way for full depth cuts without having to readjust the stop every time.. This is extremely useful for cutting halving joints and tenons etc.

Does anybody know if the Makita LS1013 has this facility for accurate halving joints and tenons etc. :?:

Not sure if i need a 12 inch blade, i would of thought that the 10 inch will be fine for most jobs :!:

Decisions, Decisions :lol:

Cheers

Michel

Michel
GWW - Jan 2004 did a group test of SCMS's - may be worth getting hold of. The Rexon, Makita and Dewalt came out recommended. The Makita can do housing cuts and has a flip stop which is handy. The thing that put me off many of them tested was that there was play in the bars and the cuts were out by up to 1mm front to back - apart from the Rexon and Scheppach I think.
I'm also (still) looking at these machines - Screwfix do a smaller Rexon machine for £199 - if it reviewed as well as the 2150 Andy reviewed, I would get it. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who's got it.
Cheers
Gidon

Wow, it looks like the Makita LS1013 seems the favorite, never having used one I can't make any comment. However, I have a DeWalt 712 and am very pleased with it, I am very happy with the mitre, compound and depth cuts, although the dust extraction sucks. I did borrow a Performance Pro sliding jobbie and was far from impressed; it could not acurately repeat cut to save its' life. Hence I paid a lot more and went for the DW, I feel it was well worth the money.

Michel,
Neil has the Makita LS1013 and regularly cuts mitres for frames, I think if he reads this he will confirm this is very accurate in this regard.

I had a quick go at the Makita and the EB, both excellent tools and accurate. The EB is a lot quieter and I thought the makita was very noisy. In case this is a factor for you :wink:

I've got the EB KGS 303. It's a very capable saw with very good capacities. It'll mitre up to 60 degrees and bevel up to 48. The design is very open with the motor over the blade, so you can always see what you're doing. The saw itself is very light, so great for outdoor use if required. The motor is a 1800W brusher, so not as quiet as an induction and it doesn't have a brake which is a shame. I think they did that to save weight, especially as the motor is so high up in the design.

The blade change mechanism is sweet, with toolless arbor stop, and an allen key hidden in the saw handle.

The slide is very smooth and free of play. I've used it for a lot of trenching cuts. Oh, bear in mind that you need to use an auxilliary fence for trencing cuts, so the cut length is reduced noticably when compared to a full mitre.

I got the folding steel stand with mine, which is very sturdy and adjustable. The whole package just oozes quality.

Enjoy

Martyn

Hello Everyone,

Re.

GWW - Jan 2004 did a group test of SCMS's - may be worth getting hold of

I had a big clear out 4 months ago and decided to clear out my stock of GWW magazines to make some space. BIG MISTAKE :roll:

Have tried to get hold of a back issue but all out of stock :( , so I'm looking into getting a copy of the test photocopied and sent to me from the editorial office.

Re.

Here's some reviews on the LS 1013:

Very impressive reviews from our friends across the water on the Makita :D.

So far the best seems to be the Makita LS1013 closely followed by the E/B, like the idea of the brake on the Makita though.

I think i will check out the GWW review before i decide.

Thanks again for all the helpful info :D

Cheers

Michel

Hello all,

I have just received the winter rutlands catalogue with GWW and have noticed the new 12" Double Bevel Mitre Saw : Elektra Beckum

Does anybody have any opinions on the saw??

Still undecided, will make my decision once i have had a good look at the makita, dewalt and e/b at the axminster show.

12" or 10" ????

capacity or weight???

decisions, decisions :?

any views would be appreciated :D

regards

Michel

Michel,

Just a few points - although you mention Rutlands as a reference, check out forum opinion on their service.....haven't used them as they regard overhere as overseas........
10" or 12"? I always found 10" perfectly adequate and of course there'll be a bit of a saving on replacement blades as well.
I had a proper look at the new Bosch GCM 10 SD (12 SD is the 12" model) and from a brief check it seems well made. All controls on the front (including compound), handle rotates 90 degrees, will mitre (both ways) up to 60 degrees (R) and bevel up to 52 degrees. Just another one for the mix.

Noel

Crikey! That new Elektra Beckum saw looks fearsome. KGS 305, 2000W motor, 12" blade. Looks like my 303 on steroids. Same slide and belt drive design, but enlarged work area and fences. Very nice.

Martyn

Latest posts

Back