Sliding bevel gauge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr AndyB

Reaction score
I have just inherited an old sliding bevel gauge. Unfortunately, the blade has been bent and has a nick in it. I thought I would buy a new replacement blade but can't seem to find one - just the whole gauge. Whilst not expensive, I just thought I'd do my bit for the environment and refurbish an old model, rather than buying a new one. Does anyone know where I might be able to source a replacement blade, the blade is 9 inches long overall so I guess that means it's a 41/2 inch model? Thanks

It's not something that wears out much, so I don't think even Stanley has ever sold spares for their sliding bevels

Two possible options: make your own from spring steel, harden and temper it then chemically blue it OR talk to the last two firms we seem to have left in the UK making this sort of tool - Joseph Marples or Crown Tools, both in Sheffield, to see if they'll sell you a blade alone

Last edited:
Failing that, I can recommend this type, bought from Axminster a few years ago so much easier to use with the tightening screw at the bottom. Ian
4BE1C947-C97F-4890-A59A-DDB386151154.jpeg

Failing that, I can recommend this type, bought from Axminster a few years ago so much easier to use with the tightening screw at the bottom. Ian
View attachment 110051
Really like this concept.
I’ve got an old one with a the locking thumb latch somewhere, think it’s Disston.
I always wondered when slides bevels would be improved over the need for a slot driver wedged between the teeth!

I have just inherited an old sliding bevel gauge. Unfortunately, the blade has been bent and has a nick in it. I thought I would buy a new replacement blade but can't seem to find one - just the whole gauge. Whilst not expensive, I just thought I'd do my bit for the environment and refurbish an old model, rather than buying a new one. Does anyone know where I might be able to source a replacement blade, the blade is 9 inches long overall so I guess that means it's a 41/2 inch model? Thanks
Sorry Andy, I meant to say, I may have a vintage blade, I will check and get back to you in a few days time.

Latest posts

Back