Slider or fixed mitre saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m looking to buy a mitre saw that will be fixed to a workshop bench that is up against a wall.

The bench is just over 2’ deep and I don’t really want the saw hanging off the front too much as I will be walking past it a lot and will no doubt bash into it every time.

Ideally I was looking at something like the Dewalt DW717 or Makita LS1016L as both are pretty good bits of kit with 10” blades and sliders that allow 80mm thick and 300mm cross cuts. However, I don’t think these will fit on the bench as the slide poles will stick too far out of the back and hit the wall. The dimensions quoted online for the Dewalt state a depth of 541mm and length of 718mm but I cant believe the front to back depth is that shallow when in use.

I will have a table saw so a huge cross cut width isn’t essential, but it would be nice not to have to drag the table out every time I want to cut something wider than 4”.
So, with my bench depth limitations is a sliding mitre table a no go and should I be looking for a fixed saw instead with a half way decent cutting width/depth. If so do any recommendations spring to mind? Budget is £500 ish, but happy to spend less :)

Any input appreciated....

Cheers

Hi Jim

I have a situation similar to yours I ended up extending the bench depth to 880mm to accomadate my
Bosch GCM 10 SD which is probably deeper than the dewalt I have attached a couple of pics for you one in storage position so you dont catch on it while passing
Hope this helps

P1010547.jpg

P1010548.jpg

Hi John,
Unfortunately I can't extend the benches as the room is quite narrow and it would encroach on the walkway. Swinging the arm into the 45 degree position will help a tad but not enough.
Cheers

There are some sliding mitre saws that don't stick out at the back - I'm aware of Festool, one of the Hitachi models and also the new axial glide Bosch. None are cheap but apparently the Hitachi is least expensive.

Misterfish

Thanks Misterfish,

There is hope :lol:

Three great options - cheers for the insight!

The Hitachi C12RSH looks to be a nice saw for about £600 and has a clever rail system, which you can see in action on Youtube. The dimensions given by Hitachi show it as 3' deep but I wonder if that is with the rails in the back position and not locked forward. Has anyone got one? If so your thoughts (and actual dimensions when locked forward) would be cool.

The Bosch GCM12GDL has a very very funky design. Again can be seen on Youtube. Price is creepng up now to over £800 so my budget would be blown on that.

Not even going to look at the Fes as I know that will be a 4 digit price tag :lol:

Good stuff.
Cheers

It looks lovely, but at £850 for the KS88 and £1,200 for the KS120 I just cant justify that sort of outlay on something that technically you could do with a £4.99 saw from B&Q :D

I've the Makita LS1013 and it does need a lot of room behind. however I'm sure that I've seem somewhere the idea of mounting the saw on a board which is in turn mounted on draw slides. For storage the saw is locked in its re-tracked travel mode with the mounting board locked back and for use the boards extended out and locked with a pin and the saw unlocked. Doesn't give you a lot of space in front depending on how wide the passage way is but could be an option.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I get the idea. I can see that working for some but not for me. I'll have workbenches either side of the saw to act as supports and one will have a flip stop so I wouldn't want to have these extended out as well.

At the moment the hitachi C12RSH looks to be my best bet, although I still need to confirm the depth.

Thanks everyone for your ideas an suggestions!

Cheers

It would be cheaper to get the Axminster one (sliding mitre saW) and install it in a £99 wooden shed? You would have more space as well.

:) :wink:

Richard S":2k550k0p said:
Jim,
What about this Fox saw, has fixed rails like the Festool etc, 12'' blade and is brand new. You dould do a lot worse

12-dual-bevel-scms-for-sale-t61019.html

Cheers
Richard

Tempting offer Richard, but new I can get this for £275 and so given I live the other end of the country the delivery costs would offset a large chunk of the saving. Hopefully someone local to you can benefit from your sale.

devonwoody":3n07c1q4 said:
It would be cheaper to get the Axminster one (sliding mitre saW) and install it in a £99 wooden shed? You would have more space as well.

:) :wink:

:D Amusing. We're having an extension built on the side of the house and the downstairs part was intended to be 2 rooms - a workshop and a utility room. Part way through the build I got the green light to make it all one workshop so if I now went back to the other half claiming I need a shed as it's not big enough, I doubt the outcome would be positive :shock:

Back