slab flattening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonw1664

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to build a frame/jig/device to let me flatten both large slabs of timebr or glued up panels by creating a frame to surround the panel with both an X & a Y movement for a router to flatten out the panel / slab. I have seen some very posh woodpecker ones but they aren't big enough (I want to be able to handle 3m x 1.2m) and are very expensive. I can see how I could build one out of aluminium extrusions but I am struggling to work out what profile to use. Does anyone have any experience of doing this?
Thanks
Jon

I have been following manor wood on YouTube and he has done a recent video on an aluminium slab flattening setup.

YouTube is hard to search on my phone but if you get stuck, let me know.

Loads of variations on this posted online, including numerous ones on YouTube if you want to see a few and pick and choose your favourite.

Nick Offerman's slab-flattening jig was the subject of a Fine Woodworking article a few years ago and I think the PDF of it is not behind a paywall. Edit: found it, link.

Hi Jon. I used this setup for an initial flattening of my new(ish!) workbench recently. First time doing anything like that and a bit of a faff to set up on my own but it worked really well. I bought the 4mm box section to make cramps. I kept two lengths back for future use for extra long cramps and of course they have sat unused ever since...
The jig sits on these obviously, and after some initial fettling the flattening was fairly mundane but it worked.
To flatten now, I modified the jig somewhat and the bars now sit on top of the bench on either side with cramp at each corner to hold them in place. By adjusting the jig height I can dimension relatively thick and thin bits of wood fairly easily. I will build a more easily adjustable and improved jig at some point and you wouldn't being doing it this way if you were making money from it, but it's fine for my needs. A bit of lateral thinking goes a long way. I was about to change the jig 'legs' a while back and stopped. Put a bit of scrap mdf under the wood instead and some double sided tape. Tadaaaa.
Trying to save money and used a straight bit that I had but now that I know it works I think I will invest in the Wealden one at some point when I have enough Overtime Points stacked up to justify it.
https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Surfacing_6.html

sero7BE.jpg

A0mujU7.jpg

Cheers.
Chris

Latest posts

Back