Slab flattening router recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter 001

Established Member
Reaction score
I need help with this one. Got few wild cherry and oak slabs to flatten and wonder which router would you recommend to use.This is very occasional activity so don’t want to spend too much but would like something reliable.

Attachments

• 389CF681-E261-4A7B-9B83-9CFC5EFFCD7F.jpeg
    389CF681-E261-4A7B-9B83-9CFC5EFFCD7F.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 0A078520-134A-41E4-99A0-51CCAD863C24.jpeg
    0A078520-134A-41E4-99A0-51CCAD863C24.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 44
  • 65180798-58DE-49AB-B40D-46279816676E.jpeg
    65180798-58DE-49AB-B40D-46279816676E.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 44
  • FAA8473F-85CE-4AF5-BDFC-5B9C6471BBF4.jpeg
    FAA8473F-85CE-4AF5-BDFC-5B9C6471BBF4.jpeg
    282.8 KB · Views: 44
I can only really speak for the router I have, its a triton MOF001 - its approx £170 and also works well in a router table as it has above the table adjustment.

Not sure if that's overkill or not - I remember reading some people who bought less expensive devices and found the router created lots of small lines in the slab which needed a lot of sanding to remove.

Ive not surfaced big slabs, just workpieces that are 600mm x 450mm, but works very well.

I can only really speak for the router I have, its a triton MOF001 - its approx £170 and also works well in a router table as it has above the table adjustment.

Not sure if that's overkill or not - I remember reading some people who bought less expensive devices and found the router created lots of small lines in the slab which needed a lot of sanding to remove.

Ive not surfaced big slabs, just workpieces that are 600mm x 450mm, but works very well.
Seems good router however it is only 1/4 inch collect. I believe 1/2 is Recommened.

ah sorry, I think for some reason it only comes with a 1/4 and 8mm collet, and you have to buy the 1/2 collet separately.

Just checked, and yes, I bought the 1/2 collet from amazon, about £14

For the machine itself almost any router will do it, bigger the motor the better.

I would say try and get a bit with replaceable inserts. The reason being that you might get inclusions of grit or metal in the slabs, once you get a chip in a big expensive router bit you can`t fix it and you are going to be pretty annoyed. Also flattening a slab is hard work on the cutting edges so being able to rotate the inserts is a very good thing.

Like this thing.
https://www.amanatool.com/rc-2250-i...-2-dia-x-1-2-x-1-2-inch-shank-router-bit.html
I know CMT do some replaceable tip stuff but be careful because some cant be mounted in hand routers and have strange bolt in shanks etc.

Ollie

Last edited:
For the machine itself almost any router will do it, bigger the motor the better.

I would say try and get a bit with replaceable inserts. The reason being that you might get inclusions of grit or metal in the slabs, once you get a chip in a big expensive router bit you can`t fix it and you are going to be pretty annoyed. Also flattening a slab is hard work on the cutting edges so being able to rotate the inserts is a very good thing.

Like this thing.
https://www.amanatool.com/rc-2250-i...-2-dia-x-1-2-x-1-2-inch-shank-router-bit.html
I know CMT do some replaceable tip stuff but be careful because some cant be mounted in hand routers and have strange bolt in shanks etc.

Ollie
Thanks Ollie, I need to get a router first, do you recommend any 1/2” router fir the job.

^ What he said. I have a bunch of routers, but my go to for heavy duty work when doing mortices in timber frames for example, is a 3hp Hitachi which I bought used for £60. For this job it is hard on the tool and the bit and I would get a powerful machine if you can.

^ What he said. I have a bunch of routers, but my go to for heavy duty work when doing mortices in timber frames for example, is a 3hp Hitachi which I bought used for £60. For this job it is hard on the tool and the bit and I would get a powerful machine if you can.
Thanks for advice.
Is this the same ?
Hikoki M12VE , read some negative review about bits got stuck in collet.

Thanks Ollie, I need to get a router first, do you recommend any 1/2” router fir the job.

I would say the bigger motor the better for this type of work. I have an old Makita that is pretty bullet proof I have done many a slab and lots of worktops etc with it.
We used to use the Dewalt ones which are the same as the old Elu ones, and the trend t10 they are strong and last very well but I never liked the switch on them, they require an awkward hand position for the trigger safety release, not good for long jobs or repetition.

I would strongly suggest actually handling the machine, because if you need to awkwardly hold a switch on whilst flattenning a big slab you will soon hate it.

Also the base design might be important as to how you make the sled, a perfectly round base is nice because it doesn`t matter if you change the angle as you bring the machine back and forth accross the slab in the sled, whereas a base with flat sides must be kept parallel which can be awkward as well.
The American style non plunge type of router are actually good for this type of thing but hard to find in the uk and not as handy for other stuff.

I would go for a proper brand, not unbranded or a wickes or B and Q special. Makita, Metabo, Festool, Hikoki, Triton, DeWalt, Bosch.

Ollie

Seems this is a good buy for 165 new with 15% off. Or do you have a better one at similar price.

Attachments

• 624C4398-726F-410E-90AD-C07F43EE32C0.png
    624C4398-726F-410E-90AD-C07F43EE32C0.png
    315 KB · Views: 13
There is a large used 240v Hitachi on eBay currently running at £70 from a trade tool supplier....
I have seen it and very tempted but it comes only with 7 days warranty.
Now have to decide, new one as above with £140 or used one with £70 :unsure:

Makita 3612c Hitachi M12V Elu Mof177e all good and spares are readily available.

Pete

Thanks for all who helped me with advice, I have ordered new Hikoko M12ve which rebadged Hitach, I used eBay 15% off voucher so it came to just above £140 with three years warranty.
Now need to fine reasonable surfacing bit.

Attachments

• ECBD7DB1-C2E8-4CD7-A50D-7F963D9ECDBA.jpeg
    ECBD7DB1-C2E8-4CD7-A50D-7F963D9ECDBA.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 3
did the same as you but bought the 3HP Hitachi router that was over 20 years ago......
it's still going strong...
I had bad luck with my Hitachi. I bought it for kitchen worktops but left it in my lockup for about 10 years and I assume it got damp over the years. When I went to use it this year it made a terrible noise and then started smoking. I stripped it to find the problem and discovered the windings burnt out. I’ve yet to replace it.

Back