Skype what a laugh

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
We have two computers, mine is a desktop with no webcam or mike but had Skype installed.

My wife has the laptop in the living room which has the skype installed and equipment.

We are in the living room and we hear the skype ringing call so we set up the laptop but things are not going right. We hear the others calling and talking to us (but unbeknown to us its the speakers in the other desktop room)

Things are getting hectic we can hear them pondering and getting stressed over the call failing. This goes on for some time and I make a telephone call to our friends in Oz. point out that we can hear them but we do not seem to have any controls our end on the laptop.

It all turned out that the desktop had the buttons on screen to operate which we could not see because it was in the other room.

However they left their laptop webcam on and when I went into the desktop room I was getting full reception on my big monitor and their presentation to us was not known to them. We had to telephone again and tell them to switch off their skype call, The lady was in her nightdress and gentleman was not.

Another confusion was that we could hear the skype ring tone although the laptop was switched off and we could not understand why we could hear the tone at first, that stressed us out, I said we must have a virus :mrgreen:

The above problem is under consideration.

I think I have to uninstall Skype from both computers and create new account names or quit Skype from my desktop.

The situation then is that the laptop is not frequently switched on, whereas my machine is live most of the day.

Its odd that sometimes the laptop worked independantly and was not fussed about my machine, but today it threw up conflicts.

Dave R":3bt5jcee said:
John, you could just get a microphone and optionally a webcam for the desktop and you'd be all set.

Yes ~Dave, I have been looking at the logitech web cams and model C270 specifies it includes a microphone although the other models do not actually confirm a mike is available.

So do you reckon, one skype account and one email address, two computers different locations via a router and the system works?
Yesterday I got some weird happenings, video on the desktop computer and the control operations at the laptop which froze. the desktop video did not freeze.

I use the same Skype account with both my PC desktop and MacBook Pro with no problems. I can even have Skype open on both of them at the same time. Both computers "ring" if someone calls but it is only the one I choose to answer the call from that actually gets used.

Back