Skype & Answer Phones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have a problem getting skype to work with some answerphones?

Even though the answerphone switches on at the receving end skype just carries on with the ringing tone. I checked this with my brother last night and then tried ringing my own land line as well.

Not sure if this is a feature of skype or some rather ancient Audioline answerphones. It can't possibly be a Mac issue, can it?

Can't see anything on their knowledge base nor google. So I've sent them a support request.

Andy

Andy..I'm a little confused (often happens).

I've not used Skype but think I understand the principle...ie it's IP based and comes down your broadband or dial up connection as digits. Therefore I presume it goes straight into your Mac??? So how does the Audioline answerphone connect into things?

Basically you have to simulate going 'off-hook'...which on a POTS system is done when you pick up the receiver....same as happens when your answering machine kicks in. And that's all done in the analogue domain...so I don't know how your ansermachine (being analogue) can tell Skype (which is digital) that it's gone 'offhook'.

Roger,
The problem arises when using skype to dial a land line but your explanation of digital and analogue signals makes sense (to me anyway).

Although I understand that another skype user has not had this problem when ringing his own answer phone on his land line.

Perhaps there are such things as digital answer phones?

Andy

I use SKYPE and SKYPE OUT a lot both to here and the US and regularly leave messages on various peoples answering machines with no problems so far.
Great bit of kit, especially as you can call US 0800 numbers.
Regards
Martin

Back