sky man

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
had a chap from Sky come round yesterday to see if wanted to go to sky, er no thanks said I..

After chatting to me for a few minutes i started to think, hmm this actually sounds quite good, he offered the basic package ( dont watch much tv) a free router, eve/weekends free calls all for £18 a month cheaper than i was already paying virgin for, so i signed up and duly phoned virgin to cancel my package with them.

On calling them up, the operative said we can match that sir, so they offered me the latest modem super hub, eve/weekend free calls, free Tivo box and installation and a free upgrade to 30m broadband all for the same money as sky offered, result..

Good for you Steve, pity these firms can't offer you the best deals without you telling them what the competition is prepared to do though. After all you're a loyal Virgin customer and they were ripping you off.

They're all the same though. Just had a letter from Sky today telling me they are putting my monthly subscription up, so I think we will now be looking at Freesat.

It's not as if there's anything worth watching on the box these days anyway :x

regards

Brian

woodbloke":2c5edc05 said:
stevebuk":2c5edc05 said:
... a free router...
If it's a Festool, I'd bite his arm off! :mrgreen: (hammer) :lol: :lol: - Rob
You haven't thought it through have you. Think of all the mess, the stains on your projects etc etc and the problems of using the router with an arm attached.

I'm with Virgin and I've also been looking around at alternatives. What started out as a basic package at £10 pm for 512 kB is now £21 a month for supposed 10mB. Still, they have to cover the cost of all these 'free' upgrades we've had I suppose.

studders":7xdxz9q9 said:
woodbloke":7xdxz9q9 said:
stevebuk":7xdxz9q9 said:
... a free router...
If it's a Festool, I'd bite his arm off! :mrgreen: (hammer) :lol: :lol: - Rob
You haven't thought it through have you. Think of all the mess, the stains on your projects etc etc and the problems of using the router with an arm attached.

I'm with Virgin and I've also been looking around at alternatives. What started out as a basic package at £10 pm for 512 kB is now £21 a month for supposed 10mB. Still, they have to cover the cost of all these 'free' upgrades we've had I suppose.

you want to contact virgin and ask what they will offer you to stay loyal, the rep told me they actually want us to ring every year so they can look after the loyal brigade, worth a shot...

Had exactly the same with BT when Orange offered me a better deal . So I phoned BT and told them I want to cancel so they said they would put me through to the cancelation department . next thing I knew I was being given the hard sell route and they then tried to sell me a better package by about £3 a month , but I told them to keep it as I am not deserate ( nor rich ) but I do not like being treated like a mug .
They only like to offer the best deals as the "horse is bolting " . I know it is business but I dont like being mugged off and it is a principal thing .
I was also with another company about 5 years ago who were trying to over charge me for a internet package they were unable to supply as my lines are made from bailer twine !! when I confronted them , they said they would credit me and offer me a better package for £4 a month more ....I worked it out that after 6 months they would of made their money back .......robbing bar stuards .

It does not pay to be loyal to any phone or services company any more , electric , gas etc .

kind regards Sam

stevebuk":2ehk3sly said:
you want to contact virgin and ask what they will offer you to stay loyal, the rep told me they actually want us to ring every year so they can look after the loyal brigade, worth a shot...

A good idea. Maybe i'll 'invent' an offer and ring them to say I want to cancel, see what they counter offer.
Nothing to lose by trying I suppose.

studders":1z9b4sus said:
stevebuk":1z9b4sus said:

A good idea. Maybe i'll 'invent' an offer and ring them to say I want to cancel, see what they counter offer.

I suspect they're spot an "invented" offer. I bet they know to the nearest penny the offers the opposition have.

They just don't tell YOU!

BugBear

bugbear":3cvql10d said:
studders":3cvql10d said:
stevebuk":3cvql10d said:

I suspect they're spot an "invented" offer. I bet they know to the nearest penny the offers the opposition have.

They just don't tell YOU!

BugBear

You're probably right. Still, a bit of research should throw up some genuine offers; after all, that's how I went from BT to Virgin.
Interestingly BT closed my account when asked without any hard sell to stay with them. That was many years ago though so things might have changed.

Back