skirting question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I am fitting some skirting and am wondering if you would use the skirting to continue over the fireplace or make it stop at the edge of the fireplace base, to me it looks a bit ugly if it just stops.

this is just a test piece for now, need to cut the real one to a much tighter fit, as you can see it's a difficult shape to scribe and get to fit perfectly, I've attached some photos.

both the wall on the left and the fireplace and not square to the floor, or parallel to each other only slightly out, but I want no gaps at all if possible, would using a bevel gauge to get the exact angle be a good idea here?

just need advice before continuing, have got another piece ready to cut to size.

p.s I only use handtools so bear that in mind.

Attachments

• skirting-1.jpg
    skirting-1.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 191
  • skirting-2.jpg
    skirting-2.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 191
Yeah, take the time to run it over the hearth. It'll just bug you otherwise as a job half done.

If it's a tricky shape just make a template first (thick card or fibreboard etc).

Cheers

Karl

over the harth.
brother in laws new house had it just stopping, it really annoyed me, so much so that I made a fill in piece for it.

he hadn't noticed though, because his tool box contains 3 pencils and a hardpoint I gave him. :)

As per Karl - get some scrap hardboard, thin ply or cardboard and mess about until you get it right then transfer it.

If must stop them, you can mitre the ends and create a return like this -
DSCN2284.JPG

DSCN2285.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2284.JPG
    DSCN2284.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCN2285.JPG
    DSCN2285.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 167
Another vote for over the hearth. Have you got enough stock left to do it in one run, rather than a separate filler piece?

going to finish it off tomorrow, ended up extending it over the hearth, looks really good, it was worth taking my time getting a good fit, took a lot longer than expected though.

Back