Skirting boards obtuse angle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryS.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m fitting some new skirting for my mother in her Victorian apartment. Some of the walls are square but it looks like only by luck, some in particular are over 90 degrees (circa 100 degrees).

I know how to measure and mark it, but how do I get an accurate cut without a jig or use of my mitre saw?

I’ve been on YouTube / google where there is plenty of info and techniques on measuring but very little on cutting without a jog or mitre saw, can anybody help me with some guidance ?

Thanks

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If this is an internal corner, you don't mitre, you scribe and cope. In other words, one board is cut square ended and goes all the way into the corner. The other board is shaped at the end to go into into the nooks and crannies of the profile of the first board. The angle doesn't affect things greatly, you simply undercut the shaped end rather than cutting it square.

Sorry got my 25 year old school maths terminology mixed up, I meant an external corner where the angle of the joint is greater than 90 degrees I.e two 45 degree cuts is not enough to make the corner.

The first corner I have to do is around 105 degrees

"You need to bisect the cut to get the correct angle'
Surely bisect the angle to get the correct cut?

Fidget":3rem9e99 said:
Gid Joiner shows how in this video from about 6.05, very clever. No measuring needed

For some reason the auto subtitles are having trouble: "...it still gives crackling cook"? Or how about "Sam again simply solve a fusion core". All makes perfect sense :)

Trainee neophyte":u40y5kt3 said:
For some reason the auto subtitles are having trouble: "...it still gives crackling cook"? Or how about "Sam again simply solve a fusion core". All makes perfect sense :)

I'd get more woodworking done if I didn't have all these damn fusion cores that needed solving.

Gid Joiner is good to watch. Some real world tips there.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Fidget":3q1watkl said:
Gid Joiner shows how in this video from about 6.05, very clever. No measuring needed

Thanks but that video has him cutting angles less than 45 degrees, the issue I’ve got is I know the angles to cut (more like 50 degrees) but don’t know how to cut them, it’s beyond the range of my mitre saw and I’ve don’t know how to cut something so awkward accurately

Don't cut them accurately. Cut them roughly, then plane back to the lines.

The alternative approach is to use corner stop blocks, but that would mean re-doing the skirting throughout the room to insert a little 30x30x skirting height + a fraction block of wood in each corner, internal or external. The all your junctions become butt joints.

Mark it as accurately as you can, clamp it in a workmate or similar and cut with a sharp saw, as Mike says plane to fit.

Hopefully it will be painted as then filler is your friend.

LarryS":2m5jrsih said:
Fidget":2m5jrsih said:

Thanks but that video has him cutting angles less than 45 degrees, the issue I’ve got is I know the angles to cut (more like 50 degrees) but don’t know how to cut them, it’s beyond the range of my mitre saw and I’ve don’t know how to cut something so awkward accurately

Its so easy to do,I will try and explain as best i can. Get 2 pieces of your skirting boards say about 2 foot long and lay them flat on the floor along the outer corners you are looking to mitre so in effect they lap over each other on an external corner. Mark the back and front on the floor where they cross each other and then remove the skirting. You will have 2 marks so draw a pencil line across where you have the 2 marks and that will give you the correct angle for each joint

As above. This is all about transferring marks not measuring angles. Get away from numbers.
The premise of the video by Gidjoiner is exactly that. You're scribing an extended version of the angle of your walls then copying it. It doesn't matter what angle it actually is.
Look up how to cut over 45 degrees on a scm saw that will only cut up to 45 degrees. That might help. But do it at your own risk.
Or cutting coving. Sometimes a jig is right and the brain is wrong. No matter how hard we have been taught otherwise.
Doing coving on my first flat blew my brain up. It caaaan't be right! But it was.

MikeG.":1ngyzy3j said:
Don't cut them accurately. Cut them roughly, then plane back to the lines.

The alternative approach is to use corner stop blocks, but that would mean re-doing the skirting throughout the room to insert a little 30x30x skirting height + a fraction block of wood in each corner, internal or external. The all your junctions become butt joints.

Thanks Mike, would a basic no 4 plane do the job, or would a block plane be more suitable (as it's end grain) ?
Paul

Whatever you've got. A block plane is no better than any other on end grain. Your biggest issue is holding the work nice and securely.

Just an update on this one on how I got it done.

Measuring the angles with an angle finder if found I needed to get each piece cut to 48 degrees. My saw only cut to 45, but a Heath Robinson inspired solution. Propped the board up very slightly so it was starting off at 5 degrees, then cut it at 43, bobs your uncle a 48 degree cut

Definitely not one for the purists, but it worked like a charm [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT]

The big question is will they be painted?
If yes don’t sweat it, just buy some decorators Calke.

Walls are neither flat nor straight. Corners are rarely right angles.

Back