Skirting board terminations and transitions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinker

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a difficult termination/transition to do on some skirting board in my house, where solid oak skirting in the kitchen reaches a step up into the hallway. The step sticks out into the room with a bullnose edge, and I have scribed the skirting board around this, leaving the top long for now (see photo).

My first though was to mitre the skirting back along the side of the step recess, but the skirting board is at different heights either side of the step and I think it would look strange having a different amount of the top of the skirting profile on each side. Levelling the skirting to match would also be difficult as the skirting will look shorter on one side of the room as a result.

I have though about mitring it back into the wall just before the corner, and then using beading along the top of the step (a sample of which is shown in one of the photos). Another thought was to use a transition plinth/block around the corner.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20230204_131925231.jpg
    IMG_20230204_131925231.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230204_131937271.jpg
    IMG_20230204_131937271.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
That is a tricky one to make look right.

You could maybe return the mould down to the top of the step like this (viewed from the end of the step), maybe holding it just back from the corner to make a feature of the corner bead. You could then also mitre that long top bit back into it to get a bit of continuity.

skirting step 2.jpg

Hmm..... I see your problem. Perhaps the neatest way is to forget about putting skirting into the door reveal at all , and just make good the plaster, You can mitre and return that little bit of the moulding ( equivalent to a staff-bead ) into the wall, just before the plaster bead - ditto the other side of the step.

Doug71's idea seems like a neat solution, but if you don't want the full decorative skirting into the reveal them perhaps some 2" wide oak off-cuts from any surplus skirting, would look less fussy

2 good suggestions above
If youve got enough skirting, Id probably make up the sides as per dougs suggestion and put them in place to see how it looks.
If it looks too heavy, niall's solution would work well.
I think, personally, a corner block is out, it'd need to start down at the flooring level and act as a break between the skirting and step.

looks good so far! 👍😎
Can we have a photo of the flooring? Looks interesting

Back