Skirting around boxing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just4Fun

Established Member
Reaction score
I plan to do some boxing in the corner of a room and I am unsure how to deal with the skirting. The boxing would look rubbish with no skirting but the skirting is varnished or stained or something rather than painted. I could perhaps approximate the profile but doubt I could get anywhere near matching the finish.

I could / will cut the existing skirting short so it does not run behind the boxing but I don't see how to re-use the off-cuts to skirt around the boxing. The off-cuts seem destined to be just too short.

Anyone got any bright ideas for me?

I don't think you'll be able to re-use the skirting, in my head I think you'll be one thickness of skirting too short on one piece by the time you've done the scribe on one.

If you use corner blocks, you should be able to get enough from the existing skirting to go around the boxing, particularly if you can cut it to length neatly in situ. Instead of meeting at the corners, the skirting bumps into a block of, say, 32x32x(height of skirting + 15 ish mm) fixed into the corner. This puts a butt joint away from the corner. The external corner block need a rebate out of the back so that it sticks out only a gnat's further than the face of the skirting, and you've usually got little choice other than to gunk it in place with a construction adhesive and pin it into the end grain of the skirting.......but done nicely, this could solve your problem. You've then only have to varnish the corner blocks to match, and they won't show up too badly if they're not perfectly colour matched.

MikeG.":3sold64e said:
If you use corner blocks, you should be able to get enough from the existing skirting to go around the boxing, particularly if you can cut it to length neatly in situ.
Thanks Mike. I think I will try it this way and if I can't get a "close enough" colour match on the corner blocks I guess I can use the suggestion by That would work and highlight them.

SunnyBob, your suggestion is just evil :lol:. I can find plenty of ways to fill my time without resorting to masochism. Oh, wait a minute, I do woodwork with hand tools ... maybe I need to rethink my argument.

Just4Fun":2sw7vt05 said:
Anyone got any bright ideas for me?

Any pictures?

I'm assuming a scribed inside corner.

With a bit of careful workmanship this is very close to doable.

The key to success is removing the skirting in the boxing blind spot by cutting at 45°.
I would recommend a thickish guide block @ 45° (square with floor) and sharp bladed multitool.

Now for the boxing...
If you make a small section and see if you can make the pieces work.
Crucially, it should be noted that you need to use SCRIBED ends against the walls even though you have been left with mitre cuts on the ends of those runs.
You should have plenty to play with from the piece that ran behind the original scribe.
But the original scribed section is likely to be a tad short and this may be addressed by making that face of boxing not as deep as it should be. This will make the boxing out of square but hopefully not enough to matter :wink:

If all has gone well you will just need to fill 2 little holes in the top of the inside scribes 8)
Hopefully you can understand what I've written...
If not your welcome to call me
Cheers Andy

I am just working on that corner this weekend. I have some other stuff to do there before I get to the skirting, but now that I look at it in detail it is not so bad as I feared. First, the corner is not coped / scribed as I assumed it would be; instead there is a mitred joint there. Second, I intend to use you suggestion of cutting the skirting at 45 degrees. The effect of these 2 together should mean I can make the existing skirting fit around the boxing. I'll keep Mike's corner block suggestion in my back pocket as a fall back plan if I screw up. Anyway I should do this tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Latest posts

Back