Skipping

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
Been skipping again, I reckon this haul is around 3 cubic ft. of hardwood ex window framing fitted about 20 years ago.
I am not going to to use the new saw to salvage but put it through some cheapo bandsaw blades and my portable electric hand planer just in case there any nasties around.

Can anybody identify the timber for me please?
Its red (mahogany coloured) and is it utile?

timber1w.jpg

timber2w.jpg

timber3w.jpg

Hi Devon

Could be Brazilian or Maranti

I got a few pieces a while back from a replacement window fixer, they were from different sites.

One lot was very tight grained that was brazilian, lovely timber to work with, the other lot was very hairy when I plained it, I believe that was maranti.

Hope this is gives you a clue about what you have.

Cheers

Good score!

I recently became friendly with the father of one of my daughter's schoolfriends; he runs his own wooden window installation business and he offered me a few window frames removed from a house he was working on. It looks identical to yours and his expert opinion was sapele.

There are lots of hidden nails, but it should clean up into some nice pieces - the sills in particular should yield some pieces three or four inches wide :)

My uncle works for a window and conservatory company - they use western red cedar.
But I also think it looks more like sapele;which is easy to work,but I find it quite dusty when turning.

Andrew

Worked on a piece this afternoon.

timber4w.jpg

Its definately not Western Red Cedar, its as hard as rock, planed lovely and that piece comes out at 56x30mm and I should get around 32 ft from the stock.

The cills and header bars I'm hoping for greater dimensions.

as denny says it could be me aunti try asking for that anywere out side liverpool .

frank

Nice one DW

I have a friend who does double glazing, I sometimes get the the call mahogany window being removed. Hitch up the trailer pronto and take my pick before the scrap man. What you have there looks like Brazilian mahogany from my information it was popular about 20 years ago. As you have shown it cleans up A1.

I have quite a bit myself just wondering what to use it for rather than for the sake of it. :roll:

Les

Les Chicken":39rvxj0f said:
I have quite a bit myself just wondering what to use it for rather than for the sake of it.

How about some windows?

Sorry! :lol: :lol:

Cheers

T

Back