Skew rebate plane blade honing guide

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve355

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have several old wooden rebate planes with skew blades, including a moving fillister which is quite wide. They could do with a really good honing to get them ready for a project. I’ve got an eclipse honing guide, which is great for straight blades, but won’t do skewed blades obviously. I could get the veritas mk 2, but don’t really want to spend the dosh. Any ideas? Or am I wasting my time and should just get on with it by hand?

cheers
Steve

Easy freehand. Only prob is keeping the skew spot on so you need to look closely before you start to see if it needs tilting a touch one way or the other. Then keep checking.

It took me a wee while to figure out how to hone my marking knives
which are single bevel, very acute and very soft steel.
I was trying to reproduce the acute angle but I kept loosing the profile
and effectively shortening the knife.
This was caused by trying to skew the tool, and when I switched to keeping the bevel like what a honing guide would hold a chisel,
i.e, not skewing and keeping the bevel 90 degrees to the length of the hone, I was able to reproduce the profile.

Tom

I have recently been honing some skew chisels. My solution was to hone along the stone with the edge, of the blade, parallel with the long side of the stone.
Seems to work, and allows the use of areas of the stone which are only lightly used.
xy

Back