Skew gouges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
Everyone talks about using the skew and using the bottom 1/3 of the short point, which I have always called the heel. Also I have always called the long point the toe..

I use the toe and the 1/3 section leading to the toe as much as I do the heel. Especially if I am turning a parallel shaft. I find it so much more acurate to have the handle at the much reduced angle to the work using the toe and keeping the cutting angle than using the heel and the skew is at about 60º to the work. Sorry, not a very good explanation.

I also find it easier to do balls this way, using the toe. Especially small balls.

What is the general thoughts on this?

I would have thought the angle you refer to is a function of the height of the tool rest ? I ask to better understand what you are getting at :)

I only tend to use the toe section (as opposed to the actual toe) for concave areas.

Well well, me too. I understand you I think. The skew and I are old enemies. I tried using it the recommended way but after chopping up half a dozen bits of wood I decided to abandon it and use a wide-ish parting tool instead. However, as I did use the skew for cutting 'v' grooves and shaping curves, I have gradually used it more. The sharp end that is, so its presented to the wood at the 'top' of the blade not the bottom. Just a matter of the right angle (bishop)

Maybe I'm an oddity but I find the skew pretty easy to use and picked it up very quickly even without anyone showing me how. On Thursday when I was shown the planing cut I didn't have and dig ins and it seemed pretty straightforward to use the heel.
Guess, at the end of the day it's all down to personal preference and what works best for you.

Jensmith":1snay5rg said:
Guess, at the end of the day it's all down to personal preference and what works best for you.

I use the Gary Rance 1/2" round skew after watching his video on how to use it and I love it. I saw him use it in the bottom of a box to leave a flat bottom and I now use it like that, it is such a versatile tool. The planing cut leaves a fantastic finish and so far haven't had any dig ins. I bet I know what will happen now :)

Regards

Peter

Jonzjob":1jth300d said:
The angle I mean is the angle to the axis of the spindle, horizontalally. Using the toe portion means that the skew is at a more accute angle to the axis. That way I find it easier to feed the skew along the work.

Sorry, I'm getting myself into a knot 'ere?

don't know about knots, but let me try again too.....

I now have a mental image of an angle that would be 90 for a parting tool in normal use?

However, if it is that one I don't understand because for any given overall tool angle with the skew the cutting edge will be at the same angle for the length of the cutting edge.

maybe an image when you have time?

I'm not sure what you mean by a skew gouge. Presumably you also invert the skew so that the toe is at the bottom.
Perhaps you could clarify for the sake of the beginners - & the puzzled, ie me. :)

Dave Register has been recommending using the toe of the skew for years.

Home page - http://www.daveregester.co.uk/

If you click on 'My Articles' & follow the instuctions on how to view Eccentric Trunnion Boxes you will see a photo of how he uses a curved skew in just such a manner.

Probably not the best example but it does show the orientation.

Robbo

Please excuse my stupidity. I have only been turning for about 16 years or so and trying to catch up with the names of the tools :oops: :oops: :oops: A skew chisel is what I am really talking about and that, I think, is the first time I have ever called it a gouge?

At the moment I am trying to get to finishing a free standing book shelf for the 3rd age club in our village before I go into dock on Friday for an op on my right hand, but I will see if I can get a couple of photos of exactly what I mean. after all, a word is worth a thousand pictures? Or something like that :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

As for that 'box' of Dave Registers? It makes my head spin just trying to get around the concept of how anyone could even contemplate it and not be on something quite dodgy :shock: :shock:

If you are doing a planing cut with a skew Jumps, the angle of the cutting egde of the blade to the axis is about 45 to 60º. If the cutting edge is about 30º to the axis of the shaft of the skew then if you are using the heel portion then you have something like a 15º angle between the work axis and the tool axis. If you now flip it and are using the toe the tool axis is much closer to the work axis (my 'ead 'urts!). Do you see what I mean? I will get a couple of photos or I will be in the loonie bin before I ever get me 'and done?? :shock:

Have you ever wished that you hadn't started something :? :? :oops: :mrgreen: Eugene, help! Your Irish logic should work wonders here :shock:

No apology neccessary.

I think I know what you mean but was just trying to obtain clarification for the sake of beginners who might try using the toe ot the skew with the toe at the top.

I believe that one of Dave Register's party pieces was to make captive rings with an axe. Now that's some tool control.

Hope all goes well with the operation & you are back to turning as soon as possible.

Robbo

Sorry Jonz. I gave up on the skew ,I changed to an adze or what ever they call it . 8) I find I can get a better finish with it than I can with a skew :roll: well maybe not better but as good as . :mrgreen:

Before anyone goes buying or useing an adze ( is there such a thing) for to enhance thrie turning let me put you straight ,my previous post was ment as a joke !!!! :roll: :lol: I have never tried or attempted to use this wepon as a skew :shock:
I have several skews in various shapes and sizes , the one I use if I am useing a skew is a Henry Taylor one that is swept
back "about" 3/8" on both sides at "about" 45deg. > like so. That is the best way to show you that I can find .
I hope this is clear to you all, If it is you might take the time to explain it to me. :roll: :oops: :mrgreen:

Adze.......absolutly brilliant tool. I remember giving a hand making a Mast for a sailing boat. There was 4 of us with Adze's working down the length of the mast, following each other. It is amazing how much material you can remove very quickly

Back