skew bevel confusion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
so as not to hijack knappers post which-tool-t56937.html and along the lines of blisters poll last week about bevel size preference, chas posted a piccy of his skew..http://quest42.co.uk/woodwork/Trivet/DSCN1299.JPG . and now i see the difference between a large or small bevel.
the bevel on both my skews is only about 1/4 in 'long' (which is how they came, but they were both preloved so dont know if that was the factory setting)
so what are the pro's and cons of short vs long? is it just a personal preference? is one easier to use/ master? longer bevel better on bigger diameters? i imagine the finish should be the same, but thought i'd get some opinion before i am tempted to attack one of mine with the grinder =P~

The skews I use for spindle 'planing' cuts have a longer bevel than the sample above, but I guess like most tooling it's what you find works for you.

ive just re read blisters poll post :oops: the-dreaded-skew-t56687.html and that provides a lot of the answers but can a skew bevel be too short/ steep? if so whats the minimum useful/ safe angle. and for those of us that dont have an angle gauge or protractor can you give a rough o'clock if the gouge is laid at three o'clock with its point at the centre of the hands. :oops:

One of the problems of looking at a skew bevel in terms of length is that this is a function of angle and stock thickness not just angle. 25 degrees (normall) gives a v short bevel on thin stock!
The angle affects performance whilst the length impacts useability in some situations

Back