SketchUp users et al.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No - Swindon area. Sigh - about as far from tidal water as you can get in England...

:D you got caote water park near you :D next sumer if your down this way give me a shout we can go round the bay

martyn

Hah! Well, it was out Faringdon way, but circumstances mean that I'm moving into Taw Hill in the next couple of weeks - where're you?

Edit - Martyn - I may just take you up on that - yeah, the water park is ideal for dinghy fun..

Thanks all for the answers about the airfields. I had been browsing around the world on Google Earth a week or so ago and saw those airfields. Yesterday I decided to find out where Swindon is and noticed that these airfields were just north.

BTW, what's an air tattoo?

Shady, there's an important component missing from the drawing of my steeering system. That is a length of cable from the end of the bottle screw, around the block that appears to be floating in space and terminating on the chain. There's one on each side.

I didn't draw the complete chain or the teeth on the sprockets over which it runs but I hope the rest makes sense.

The original plans called for a steering shaft of 1.25" Diameter pine dowel with a lag screw through the transom and into the aft end of the dowel. I just couldn't do it.

Dave R":1yzrnwoz said:
BTW, what's an air tattoo?
It's a picture of an aeroplane inked into the skin... :wink:

Really it's an opportunity for the Royal Air Force to show off their expensive toys and get little kiddies to sit in a Tornado or whathaveyou in the hopes that 10 years later they'll want to joint the RAF instead of the Navy (which has nicer uniforms and you can still get to fly :wink: )

Cheers, Alf

Tawhill, nice little area, got a nice pub (Tawny Owl). What road you moving into if i may ask

Andy

Alf, I thought that's what it might be. :D I can see a bunch of guys standing in line with bare skin waiting to have another guy with 3 teeth and long greasy hair dressed in leather and chains draw a Vampire or a Camel. :D

The airshow sounds interesting. I suppose it isn't as big as the airshow at Oshkosh, Wisconsin is it?

:D the problem with flying with the navy is you only get short runway and if you fall off you get wet :D and the uniforms are only better because bellbottoms are back in fashion :wink: as if i would know what is in fashion :oops: ](*,)

martyn

Dave R":2j7pn5xq said:
The airshow sounds interesting. I suppose it isn't as big as the airshow at Oshkosh, Wisconsin is it?

it covers all countys UK,USA,USSR,france\etc is quite a big one and Fairford is an USA air base here in uk

martyn

martyn2":zqtsc6od said:
:D the problem with flying with the navy is you only get short runway and if you fall off you get wet :D
...and that's just at the air stations... :lol:

martyn2":zqtsc6od said:
and the uniforms are only better because bellbottoms are back in fashion :wink: as if i would know what is in fashion :oops: ](*,)
Fashion, smashion. All the nice girls love a sailor, as the saying goes... :wink: :whistle:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":176sa81c said:
Fashion, smashion. All the nice girls love a sailor, as the saying goes... :wink: :whistle:

Not sure how much good that'll do them.

martyn":1elw7lw9 said:
But that was before the Air force was created

and given a uniform the colour of 1970's eyeshadow! or indeed the same colour as an ointment for an unpleasant condition.

Cheers

Tim (RN retd)

All I can say is, from the POV of the distaff side*, the Naval uniform has the edge. I'm sorry, it's just how it is. Being the Senior Service they got first choice I suppose. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

*Well this section of it anyway. I've just remembered Gill's RAF connections, so she's bound to leap to their defence I fear. :lol:

it covers all countys UK,USA,USSR,france\etc is quite a big one and Fairford is an USA air base here in uk

martyn

Well, perhaps, I'll have to go see it one day.

I'm told that during the one week of the EAA airshow in Oshkosh, air traffic controllers handle more take offs and landings than any other airport in world sees in a year. :shock:

I've been there many times but wouldn't fly in. They post a controller on a hill out to the west of the field. All VFR flights come in over this hill. The controller says, "red Cessna, follow the Bonanza. Yellow Cub, follow the red Cessna..." You fly a right hand pattern for a landing from the east unless the wind is really strong out of the east. Then the tower controller says, "Bonanza land short, take the first turn off. RedCessna land in the middle. Take the first high speed turn off. Yellow Cub land long, don't go through the fence."

Scary but they do it successfully year after year.

Alf":1xeu8ap1 said:
*Well this section of it anyway. I've just remembered Gill's RAF connections, so she's bound to leap to their defence I fear. :lol:

come on gill help i,m being out numbered here :-k

:arrow: be alert jion the navy the navy needs lerts :D

martyn

Scary but they do it successfully year after year.

that sounds like a good show might have to look into that one :D
Fairford is only military planes (planes that will wake philly up :tool: )

martyn

Honestly - Alf - typical shallow female response to the peacock's feathers... :wink:

You have to look beyond the superficial aspects of the potential mate's plumage, to his ability to provide for you... Now the Navy and the RAF both go to war sitting down in comfort: what sort of warrior is that?

You want the steel thighs and sinews of an Army type, whose job description goes something like "to close with and destroy the enemy in all weathers, in all terrain, by day or night"... Oh - and his mess kit's sexier, too... :D

Latest posts

Back