SketchUp users et al.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to help, Steve.

Here's another tip for you related to that model. Draw all of your model above the origin of the three axes. I doubt it matters for the OBJ export but it does if you wish to use shadows and a raw JPG or PNG 2D export from SU.

I expect that back wall under the window is so dark because you don't have enough light on it. ;) More light sources.

Another thing you can do regarding the lighting is draw free standing rectangles or circles to act as lights in K. Just place them so their front face is toward the chest of drawers or whatever you decide to light. Paint each one with a color that can then be turned into an emitter in K.

It only just occurred to me now but you should also be able to place other shapes to act as barndoors or gobos (studio lighting terms). I also wonder what happens if you create a spot light with a cylinder. Turn the cylinder inside out so you can make the bottom of it an emitter and the sides are either reflective or flat black. I've got some fiddling around to do.

just add a bit of sand if you want, just to really rub it in :lol:

I found this pic in the internet, from acad :wink:

car.jpg

Not sure on the creator but pretty good in my own opinion :wink:

it still needs a few tweaks and the materials applied.

i'll dig out a few links for material sites if your interested, some are pretty good. For timbers, unless you scan your own, try veneerselector.com. Good for small models where you can use the veneers fullsize. Nothing worse than a veneered wall of 8000x3000 with a map of 300x200 stretched over it.

Andy

Hey! I want that Lego set. That is pretty cool. Bet it could be done in SU but no point now. ;)

Thanks for the link to the veneer site. Good wood textures, especially ones that tile nicely are difficult to find.

We better be careful with our pictures or someone might yank our leashes in tight. :D

timber materials, that are any good are pretty hard to find. You don't have to worry about tiling the width, if you bookmatch the image in photoshop then this is already set for U tiling. The hardest is the length, looks rubbish if you have the same flames in the veneer copied 6 times. I just get a 2500mm piece of veneer, mark it up and cut into a4 pieces. Then scan and rejoin in photoshop. Takes a bit of time but you get some really nice renders from these.

Andy

I'll have to play with that. In the past I haven't been too concerned about wood grain since I do the drawings mainly for myself.

Say, on another topic, a little bit north of Swindon, there is a rather large airfield. The runway runs almost east and west. What is it? And to the southwest of that airfield is something that also looks like an airfield with the runways in a triangle. It looks like there are trees planted on the base of the triangle (south side) and large building at the apex of the triangle. What's that?

I think it could be fairford, where the air tatoo is held. What pictures are you viewing to see this, it may help

Andy

Dave - on your boat picture (here's another boat boy.. :wink: ) the blocks and the lines look like attachments for a steering linkage to the rudder (it's the way a wind vane system is often linked to tiller steering)- I can't work out how that engages/disengages with the wheel in front? Are the blocks an emergency back-up, or a way of lashing the tiller amidships when moored?

Dave R":35j6vfph said:
Say, on another topic, a little bit north of Swindon, there is a rather large airfield. The runway runs almost east and west. What is it? And to the southwest of that airfield is something that also looks like an airfield with the runways in a triangle. It looks like there are trees planted on the base of the triangle (south side) and large building at the apex of the triangle. What's that?

Sounds like RAF brize norton
Link

I was station there for six years

shady what kind of boat have you got :?:

martyn

Mod edit for long URL

Martyn, the one in question as fairford, as i can see the home and garden of the house we stay at when the air tatoo is on.

The second triangular image, i think is in the quarry area, not far from the coltswold water parks.

Andy

LyNx":xu7a9nw2 said:
Martyn, the one in question as fairford, as i can see the home and garden of the house we stay at when the air tatoo is on.

The second triangular image, i think is in the quarry area, not far from the coltswold water parks.

Andy

oK :D i used Live in swindon and work at south cerney (another air base ) before moveing to Dorset always use to go to the tatoo i was in it for two years when i was at brize

martyn

CHJ":2fj85g0a said:
I think you will find the second image at Down Ampney is the remains of a disused WW2 Airfield.

I used to fly model air planes from there. there is a stone plaque there to remember them. :(

martyn

Martyn - at the moment, I own a mirror that's being restored (good fun), and I hire keel boats out of Portsmouth (Whale Island) when I want a bit more adventure - can't justify the economics of owning to myself at the moment... Mooring fees and maintenance for the number of days I can get on the water just dont make sense.. :(

Back