Sketch up help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBCarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
My son has gone and “pressed a buttton” and now all my CAD dimensions appear upside down :poop::rolleyes: Absolutely classic. He can’t even talk so can’t explain in great detail exactly what sequence of buttons he’s pressed.

can anyone help??

B051D5B0-46CC-4C54-B576-BC76F2E4FCA1.jpeg

If you use the orbit tool to flip it round does the text flip too?

Edit: Ignore that, it doesn't.

Edit: Do you have a Mac? Dimensions mirrored

Last edited:
Interesting. I have also recently upgraded to Big SUR. My poor son, my finger pointing, oh jeez I feel terrible. I better buy him a lolly to apologise

Louis

Fascinating - I've just discovered that it does still print the correct way round. Its just backwards on the screen

I wonder if that’s it for sketch up make then in Mac OS. I don’t like the browser version of sketch up but if I upgrade to big sur I may have no choice. :(

I wonder if that’s it for sketch up make then in Mac OS. I don’t like the browser version of sketch up but if I upgrade to big sur I may have no choice. :(
I don't have to worry about this...yet. None of my Macs are compatible with Big Sur.

@MikeK LOL mine neither my 'late 2011 17" MBP' is way past that too - but it's way faster than my work windows 10 machine!
Only draw back I have really is that Handoff rarely works from my iPad or iPhone, and Airdrop never does - but iCloud fixes that ;)

One other solution is to set up a virtual machine. I have a 2012 MacBook (running High Sierra) and use a very old drafting package which runs on Windows XP. I used VirtualBox free version to set up the virtual machine with XP and the drafting software in it and no connection to the internet so no danger of viruses. The design files all sit in the Mac part of the machine so printing, emailing files, backups etc are all done using the Mac operating system. All works seamlessly, XP opens in its own window, open the drafting package and one of the “disc drives” for file location is a link to a folder on the Mac OS. For printing I produce Pdf files which are saved on the Mac OS. I then print in the normal way and I can print exactly to scale.

You could do something similar, upgrade to Big Sur and have a virtual machine running either an old version of the Mac operating system or an old windows operating system. Run sketch up in this and have your design files in the Big Sur part of the machine. You may need to give some thought to printing. I am not familiar with sketch up and what sort of print file it produces.

i cannot answer detailed questions about how I set up Virtual Box. I did it just the once and googled how to do it. It took a few hours but now cannot remember exactly how I did it. It went fairly easily with no major issues.

Thanks. That’s a good idea. I have a server running as a nas and do have some virtual machines on there already, so could soon spin up another vm and install the stand alone version in there

I can print out of the vms anyway and save the files direct to the disk array on the nas.

Select the 'dimension'.
Default Tray/Entity Info/Linear Dimension.
Check box "Align to Screen" (assuming check box "Align to Dimension" is selected - which it probably is).

Forgive me if I offend anyone by the way that I write/speak.

Select the 'dimension'.
Default Tray/Entity Info/Linear Dimension.
Check box "Align to Screen" (assuming check box "Align to Dimension" is selected - which it probably is).

Forgive me if I offend anyone by the way that I write/speak.
Sadly doesn't make a difference but thanks, closest so far to a solution

the only other thing I can think to try is create new (empty) sketchup file and change the template: window/preferences/template.
you may get lucky.

Still can't sort this. So - Laptop is due an upgrade regardless. Can anyone CONFIRM that sketch up free is working on a fairly new MacBook with MAC OS Big Sur?

Finally managed to sort this. Basically involved transferring everything onto iCloud, format the HD and install a fresh copy of Catalina. What a ball ache. At least it’s sorted though

Louis

Back