Skeleton clock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to turn a skeleton clock. It will need either a 150mm or 120mm insert, but there seem to be numerous suppliers around. They may all be selling the same item or may be different.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a decent quality insert?

marcros":2gikwxci said:
... a decent quality insert?
As far as 'Insert' options are concerned there is only one 'quality' available --- poor!

Don't misunderstand me, they work and keep reasonable time but the gears and plates are pressed out by the 1000s (maybe even millions) and to suggest that they are 'sloppy' is an understatement.

If you want a 'decent' quality skeleton clock you will have to make your own but that of course is a bit more than wood turning :D

I hear you. It is a present, the budget being about the value of the insert!

Skeleton_MkII.png
marcros":37rbxkel said:
I hear you. It is a present, the budget being about the value of the insert!
The reason I know is because I also used the available skeleton unit to build a present..... only because I couldn't complete the clock I was building on time.

If you are interested you can see how far I got at
http://www.special-time.co.uk/projects.htm
at the bottom of that page.

.... and no - I still haven't finished it

Attachments

• Skeleton_MkII.png
    Skeleton_MkII.png
    483.7 KB · Views: 312
that's useful actually bob, I have a piece of bubinga that I was going to use, and it also shows me the silver rather than the gold insert.

how did you cut the hole, you don't turn do you?

That "hole" is actually 16 pieces, arranged like barrel staves so that the grain makes it appear to be a solid trunk. I'm quite proud of that one.
I intended to keep it, but showed it to a friend who immediately made me an offer I couldnt refuse :roll:
That clock has a nice back, perfectly suited to be exposed from both sides. I think it was about 30 quid a couple years ago.

Heres a better picture of the grain
https://pbase.com/john_cooper/image/167043173

thanks. I have a decent sized lump of bubinga but I might look at coopering it. turning would be quicker, coopering use less wood and I like the way that your grain runs.

I have seen the same insert I think. price is about the same now

Latest posts

Back