Sjobergs Smart Workstation Pro dog hole enlargement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonStevensCanes

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Sjobergs Smart Workstation Pro, which I bought to use for dovetailing and other hand tool work as I don't yet have room for a "proper" woodworkers workbench. The Axminster page doesn't list a dog hole size, just the size of the holes in the feet, and I have subsequently discovered that the holes in the top are ~19mm rather than the more common 20mm. I'm sure there's some sound reasoning behind why they've done that, if anybody could enlighten me, I would appreciate it.

Anyway, can anybody see any issues with me enlarging the holes? I specifically want to use it with a toggle clamp.

I suppose that if you wanted to use 20mm bench dogs (or anything 20mm in the future) - I don't see why not enlarge. If you were to use only Sjobergs product (are they all 19mm) the holes would be a little large and the products might be sloppy fitting and gradually enlarge the hole to become oval?
Not sure how I would enlarge 1mm on the diameter

I have a Sjobergs Smart Workstation Pro, which I bought to use for dovetailing and other hand tool work as I don't yet have room for a "proper" woodworkers workbench. The Axminster page doesn't list a dog hole size, just the size of the holes in the feet, and I have subsequently discovered that the holes in the top are ~19mm rather than the more common 20mm. I'm sure there's some sound reasoning behind why they've done that, if anybody could enlighten me, I would appreciate it.

Anyway, can anybody see any issues with me enlarging the holes? I specifically want to use it with a toggle clamp.
A lot of workbenches and associated stuff have 19mm (3/4") holes. I think the only challenge to enlarging the holes would be not mucking them up! (keeping the tool straight and avoiding chip-out) - I might be tempted to use a (plunge) router, rather than a drill bit.

PS the Axi page says that ".... The feet also feature 20mm holes on 288mm centres ..." so at least you wouldn't need to change those, by the sound of it.
PPS The only downside of enlarging the holes would be that you'll have some spare ones of these: Bench dogs, round - Sjöbergs

Last edited:

Would this work? - it’s a ‘toggle clamp’ and it says has a 19mm dog peg:
https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/c...s/armor-tool-auto-adjust-horizontal-dog-clamp
Personally, I would prefer to use something designed for the dog hole rather than start enlarging holes and potentially messing with the accuracy.

Last edited:
The 19mm (3/4-inch) workbench hole appears to be standard for hold fasts, and has been the size in all but one of the workbenches I looked at when I was shopping for a bench. The Sjöbergs workbench I bought has 25mm (1-inch) holes, which means I can't use any of the hold fasts commonly available. I think the 20mm holes are standard for the MFT-style workbenches.

At one time, I considered plugging the 1-inch holes and boring new 3/4-inch holes. Before I could do this, my wife bought four of the Sjöbergs clamps for me. Problem solved.

If my workbench had 19mm holes and I wanted to enlarge them to 20mm, I would use a reamer and not try to drill them.

I have the small Sjobergs benchtop workbench pro and reamed my 19mm holes using UJK Parf System Rreamer for 20mm holes bought from Axminster.
https://www.axminstertools.com/ujk-parf-system-reamer-for-20mm-holes-107586
However!
After using it in hard beech it didn't work very well and was spinning in the drill.
I over came this by filing 3 facets on the round shaft.

I contacted Peter Parfit to share my less that excellent experience and he advised me that the reamer was designed for MDF only and not hard beech.

So you can use the cheap reamer (£16) but just be prepared to file the shaft.
Not a big deal and the end results were perfect.
Also I'd recommend a power drill and not a battery drill and like always - take your time ;)

Thank you all for the info. I should have realised that 18mm is just 3/4 inch.

My instinct is that there are probably more accessories designed for MFT sized dogs, can anybody confirm?

I have the small Sjobergs benchtop workbench pro and reamed my 19mm holes using UJK Parf System Rreamer for 20mm holes bought from Axminster.
https://www.axminstertools.com/ujk-parf-system-reamer-for-20mm-holes-107586
However!
After using it in hard beech it didn't work very well and was spinning in the drill.
I over came this by filing 3 facets on the round shaft.

I contacted Peter Parfit to share my less that excellent experience and he advised me that the reamer was designed for MDF only and not hard beech.

So you can use the cheap reamer (£16) but just be prepared to file the shaft.
Not a big deal and the end results were perfect.
Also I'd recommend a power drill and not a battery drill and like always - take your time ;)
Wow, you are perfect 😍

So after some mild modification, the reamer works. That sounds like my best bet if I go that route.

Now, can you tell me a little about your experiences since using the bigger dogs? Happy with your choice? Did you use the workbench with the smaller dogs for long before changing?

Wow, you are perfect 😍

So after some mild modification, the reamer works. That sounds like my best bet if I go that route.

Now, can you tell me a little about your experiences since using the bigger dogs? Happy with your choice? Did you use the workbench with the smaller dogs for long before changing?

As I own the parf guide system, my main bench and my old home made mft table all use 20mm dog holes. All my dogs & pups are 20mm so when I bought the Sjobergs workbench pro I didn't actually realise it came with 19mm holes.
Hence quickly reaming them to 20mm.

My experience has and always will be with a 20mm hole system

👍

As I own the parf guide system, my main bench and my old home made mft table all use 20mm dog holes. All my dogs & pups are 20mm so when I bought the Sjobergs workbench pro I didn't actually realise it came with 19mm holes.
Hence quickly reaming them to 20mm.

My experience has and always will be with a 20mm hole system

👍

cool, I do want an mft table, but space dictates that it must wait for a new workshop. I guess that answers my own question then really. 20mm it is 💪🏼

Rob, how did you manage to complete all 10 holes with this reamer? I didn't have any issues with the shaft, but it overheats within seconds and is desperately trying to kill my driver. Very easy to get it stuck in there (presumably a combination of just friction, and it overheating expands the size which snugs it into the hole).

I got one hole start, took about an hour of drilling and cooling to get the top couple of centimetres reamed out. I resorted to a forstner bit for the rest, which was very fast but has left a not perfect surface inside (probably my pillar drill would assist with that). The UJK dogs that I bought are too snug inside due to that imperfect surface.

I think you are expecting too much from the UJK reamer, since it was designed for MDF and not your Sjöbergs workbench top.

I recommend using an adjustable reamer, such as this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcing-map-Adjustable-Cutting-Adjustment/dp/B07JPF6F6K
Although these are intended for reaming metal, I have successfully used similar reamers on HDPE, nylon, and plastic blocks to enlarge holes. I think this would work well for your workbench top.

Latest posts

Back