Sjoberg Nordic Plus Benchtop flattening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtchucker09

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently bought a second hand Sjoberg Nordic Plus workbench that is pretty much brand new so in immaculate condition.

The top isn’t flat as you can see in the attached pic. Are they flat if bought brand new? I would assume if they are then this bench has been stored in a damp barn.

Any ideas on how to get it flatter before planing it flat so I remove less material.

Attachments

• 2FEF8EA0-4F25-4875-B26A-6223E2CE9A76.jpeg
    2FEF8EA0-4F25-4875-B26A-6223E2CE9A76.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 79
I assume the cross pieces are not glued to the top, just screwed. I would loosen them or even take them off to allow the top to relax and then leave it at least a few weeks to acclimatize to your shop environment. Sticker it (on sticks every foot) on a flat surface (not the floor) with some weight on top while it settles. Then reattach the cross pieces (enlarge or slot the holes to allow for future movement), shimming or planing to match the top before screwing them tight. Hopefully there will be less to flatten if anything.

Pete

I'll add that whenever you finish the top with, do the same to the underside.

I wonder if a cheap moisture meter would detect more moisture on the top side/surface of the bench?

Tom

I would go with Pete's advice as a starter and see if things settle down before taking to it with a plane. I notice they have not followed the rule of alternating the grain at the glueup stage so it will have a natural inclination to bow when it takes up moisture. If your workshop is nice and dry then things will have more chance of working out.
Regards
John

I'd put it back together and sell it. The top is only 28mm thick and by the time you flatten it...
Best to make yourself a bench. That Sjoberg is more a prop than a proper bench.

Thanks for the replies. I will give it a chance by doing as some of you suggested and putting it back together and leaving it a while. I am also inclined to agree with dzj in the sense that it is a prop. I might use it to make a nice hardwood bench with a thick top and then sell it.

Back