Sizing floor support joist?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am trying to find a way to support a mezzanine floor. It is currently held up with a wall at one end and the plan is to remove the wall and have a beam of some sort replacing the wall to knock 2 sections into 1. The wall is 6m long or 20ft. Could it be done in timber? I realise it would be something like 12-14" x 3", there is a sawmill locally who can cut me one. Would I need steel rsj in this size? how to know?

Thanks

No expert in this at all but if it were me and i was determined to have timber over steel, i would go for a laminated beam of some sort . Best to get a structural engineer to work out loads and sizes to be on the safe side as 20' is quite a span .:)

No expert in this at all but if it were me and i was determined to have timber over steel, i would go for a laminated beam of some sort . Best to get a structural engineer to work out loads and sizes to be on the safe side as 20' is quite a span .:)
I've tried contacting structural engineers but no reply. I'd imagine it's too small a job for them to bother with.

Fairly sure that there is at least one structural engineer that uses this forum that could give you advice, but more info is needed on the size and weight of the floor to be supported, what is the mezzanine going to be used for and how much weight this adds , is usage likely to change if so build in overkill so you can safely store extra weight. Also how is it held up at the other end .:)

If going for a glulam beam then a manufacturer will happily do the calcs for it in return for the custom. The building inspector will happily bow to them.

I think a oak frame house supplier could do the same too but it won't be cheap in either case...

Wouldn't span tables get you in the ball park? Then add a factor of safety on top?
Martin

Glulam with free calcs sounds perfect though 👍
I made a flitch beam recently, easy enough once you find a metal supplier....

Speak to your local building control for advice. I have no idea what the regs are like in Ireland as opposed to the UK.

Edit: Any good ? Beam Calculations

A structural engineer will do an assessment and specification which may save you more than they cost and you'll know it's done right. For a single beam £120 is about right nowadays. I use SGM structural in Huddersfield and have always been pleased with them.

A structural engineer will do an assessment and specification which may save you more than they cost and you'll know it's done right. For a single beam £120 is about right nowadays. I use SGM structural in Huddersfield and have always been pleased with them.
That's a good price...

Latest posts

Back