Sizing end grain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen mixed opinions of watering down the glue versus just applying a thin coat straight from the bottle - which is best?

Also, can I apply this the night before or do I need the first coat to be tacky before applying the second coat?

The op has said he wants to size end grain and is asking for the best way to do it.
In hot weather like this I would apply a 50 50 mix to the end grain and leave for 20 mins and then glue up out of the bottle.

Thanks. My reading skills aren't awful and I'd got as far as that unaided. That hasn't answered my question though.

Sizing just means putting a thin layer of watered down glue on end grain, before you glue something up properly.

I’m making some rough and ready garden furniture out of 2x4 softwood tanalised timbers that will be screwed and plugged and some pocket holes as well.

There won’t be any end grain to end grain, but end grain to side grain here and there. I just want to give it the best chance of surviving a few seasons.

From the application I guess you will be using a water proof adhesive therefore any sizing you apply should not be allowed to dry before applying the final glue otherwise it will not penerate the wood at all and not stick.
Really the joint should be redesigned to not rely on any endgrain gluing. Alternatively consider metal cross dowel and bolts.

My advice remains the same.
Size the end grain 50 50 leave till tacky not dry then glue up at full strength.

Phil Pascoe":n5xjnuaj said:
Myfordman":n5xjnuaj said:
Really the joint should be redesigned to not rely on any endgrain gluing.
I don't think he's doing that, just trying to protect ends that are butted up to long grain.

That’s right. I just want to make sure that the end grain doesn’t suck up all the glue if I just apply it once.

maybe? I think of sizing as a process to control the rate of absorbtion of liquid when gluing.
My father always "sized" plasterwork before hanging wallpaper for example.
If your application is nothing to do with gluing but all about reducing rot damage, I'd be soaking in preservative and NOT sealing the ends to allow any water that does penetrate, to be able to get out asap

Myfordman":20jghrv8 said:
maybe? I think of sizing as a process to control the rate of absorbtion of liquid when gluing.
My father always "sized" plasterwork before hanging wallpaper for example.
If your application is nothing to do with gluing but all about reducing rot damage, I'd be soaking in preservative and NOT sealing the ends to allow any water that does penetrate, to be able to get out asap

No, it's definitely about gluing for me but so that the end grain that's going to be butted up against the side grain doesn't suck up all the glue on the first application. Maybe the term is used differently in the US, which is probably where I've seen the process described.

I'll be treating any end grains that are visible with some Osmo end grain sealant wax (I haven't used any of this stuff yet but I want some for a sleeper table I built a few weeks ago).

Latest posts

Back