size and shape of haunches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I'm making a coffee table, rustic chunky pine affair. I have a WIP over here if you are interested.

Anyway, I'm stuck on the haunches.

I could extend the mortice to the top of the leg (but shortened) so the haunch is seen from the top of the leg, but I dont like the idea of the wall of the mortice not being supported, or I could start it at the top of the rail and angle the haunch at 45 degrees (or whatever angle is the norm?) to meet the tenon, or I could angle it at 45 degrees, but shave a bit off the top...

You suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I prefer the ones that are clad in Jodhpurs and measuring about 36 inches. :oops:

Roy.

It's a good question and one I've wondered about in the past. I don't think it will matter ever so much. Square cut haunches need to be accurately cut to prevent the tenon piece bottoming on the haunch before the shoulders are pulled up tight. Angled haunches could be slightly under cut on the tenon part and still pull up neatly, so you'd have a little more margin for error on those.

For haunches on tenons, think in terms of thirds ie, the haunch ought to be roughly a third the total length of the tenon but it's not critical - Rob

Back