Sixpenny tables

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Tsk, my rate of project completion is so slow this is the first time I've started a completed project thread on this board... :oops:

Anyway, it's my folks' Golden Wedding Anniversary a week on Friday, and I decided I wanted to make them a pair of somethings to mark the occasion. After a bit of consultation side tables were decided on. Slightly smaller than the "usual" design, no drawer, in Cherry to blend with the existing woodwork in the living room. A (bad) plan of sorts here. Roughly 12.5" square and 27" high. I started them towards the end of April and got them finished more or less to my satisfaction today. All sorts of WIP pics and info can be found here. 'Pologies to Blog readers who've seen it all before. A few pics of the finished tables, which they haven't seen :) :

The pair

One alone to get a better idea of the proportion and such

Close up of the side bead (hand worked). All surfaces, inside and out, hand planed and finished with wiped-on blonde de-waxed shellac

The tops were glued up in one and then seperated to get the figure going across the two tables; seemed appropriate for a wedding anniversary present somehow.

Sixpenny tables because each one has a 1955 sixpence let in on the underside. And you can see why I'm a woodworker and not a calligrapher...

No, they're not particularly remarkable, and I took an inordinately long time making them considering their size. :oops: There's a quote somewhere, which I can't find of course, along the lines of "build as if you have forever, but as if it is the last thing you'll ever make", which is what I tried to do. So they're made with the care befitting the recipients; but more to the point, by having that thought in the back of my mind all the time, I didn't make any mistakes! :shock: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Philly":5okcpmxj said:
I think the quote was a Shaker one, wasn't it?
I thought so, but my obvious Shaker sources are coming up dry (after rather a sketchy search, to be honest). Nearest I got was Ruskin, but I have a friend who so despises Ruskin I wouldn't dare use a quote from him. 8-[ Anyone got Chris Becksvoort's Shaker Legacy? Might be in there. :-k

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

They are beautiful. Well done. Doesn't matter how long they took. I know your folks will really cherish them.

BTW I really like the size of them.

Cheers

Tim

They may not come along very often but when they do, your projects are worth seeing :) .

Your tables look really good - clean lines and elegant. I bet your parents will be really chuffed with those.

One day, I might try something like that myself.

Gill

Superb! It is the clean lines and the quality of the matching pair (particularly the matching tops) that makes them remarkable, and I like the originality of the inset 1955 'tanners' - where on earth did you find them.

There is going to be one delighted couple a week on Friday!

Cheers,

Trev.

Alf,

Very nice tables, the tanners as Trev says are a good idea.:D
I have cuff links with some on, but not the right year for anything, but LOML bought me some with farthings, they are 1955 as it happens but thats when I was born, not married. :roll:

The tables are rather nice. Well done.

Rgds

Noel

Alf,

That is really nice. You know i like clean strong lines with no fusz.

I know your parents will be well pleased with it. (and it is always nice to have something stuck away for a rainy day - I refer here to the hidden sixpence :p )

It's nice you signed your work too. I do that as well - just for the fun of it

McLuma

Top job Alf,

Who cares how long it takes to produce things, with finished products like that the wait is worth it!

I particularly like the one piece top - very nice touch!

Les

Thanks for the nice comments, folks.

Gill, if I get out the scrollsaw will you fire up the tablesaw...? :wink:
Trev, would you believe a flea market in Truro had the coins? Took me a while to find the right dates mind you. Luckily the seller lent me a magnifying glass...
Andy, I'd rather not admit how long it took the, ah, penny to drop there. :oops:
Mike, :p

Cheers, Alf

You take almost as long as me to finish projects! :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, the tables are luvverly!

Alf":gbrtc5ry said:
Gill, if I get out the scrollsaw will you fire up the tablesaw...? :wink:

Oh, you're gonna regret that Alf :lol: !

I'd always intended that my next project after the Spitfire and chopper would be a side table :-$ . How long do I get to complete it? Do I have to follow your example?

Gill

Gill":nhhsdbp7 said:
How long do I get to complete it? Do I have to follow your example?
What? Take three months? Nah, you can take as long as you want. :lol: Now where did I put those scrollsaw blades... :-k

Cheers, Alf

Alf
Nice tables. The bead is just the right touch.. I like the pictures of the progress work.. Who does your photography.

"Working like its your last peice but your going to live forever" I hope someday I can have that for my moto.

By the way on pic 59/88 you talk about the BUS. Need a translation as it seems your using a LABU Veritas??

ANd didn't make any mistakes. Thats got to be a good feeling #-o =D> :eek:ccasion5:

Back