Sir Paul

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but as I understand it Beatles fans despised The Stones and vice versa.
That's not how I remember it. Sounds like a totally idiotic stance for anyone to take.
Basically, we all liked stuff that our parents didn't. Just like now. In fact, I remember "discovering" Django Reinhardt when I was about 15, and being really p155ed off to find out my wicked stepmother even knew of such stuff.

Idiotic or not, that is exactly how it was, in theory anyway, as I was supposed to like the Stones and hate all mod music but I quite liked large chunks of each type of music but if someone liked the "enemys" music you would never admit it to your mates ;-) and yes they truly were enemies

I think my father was more enlightened than most, his love was classical and Gilbert & Sullivan, but one time he sat down and listed to a fair portion of Uriah Heap as I was extolling their musical virtues, he sat through it and said very good now what shall we have for tea?

Mind you, he had, had plenty of practice as I am the youngest of ten ;-)

On Paul McCartney, the best of the four of the best band ever in my eyes, I didn't see the Glastonbury performance meaning to catch up on iplayer, only to find it wasn't available but see it is now so will catch that later

I did watch the McCartney at the bbc, his voice was rather wavy for the first few songs and I nearly turned it off but the rest was interviews and previous performances and which were excellent throughout

As to hating our parents tastes in music?, well I quite like classical music and Gilbert & Sullivan ;-)

On the Beatles, there can't be many people around the world that do not know their music

That's not how I remember it. Sounds like a totally idiotic stance for anyone to take.
Basically, we all liked stuff that our parents didn't. Just like now. In fact, I remember "discovering" Django Reinhardt when I was about 15, and being really p155ed off to find out my wicked stepmother even knew of such stuff.

My Dad in his 70s developed a craze for Boney M having poured scorn on my love of Blues and Jazz for years!!!

Attachments

• 72D781B2-C674-459D-B771-B674CFA9DC27.jpeg
    72D781B2-C674-459D-B771-B674CFA9DC27.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 0
The Beatles were one of the few groups that crossed the boundaries and were liked by both sides

On peer groups, it was the same in all I knew or came across, many years ago I went back packing in Holland, first day off the boat I was astonished (in a good way) to find a group of youths, one in leather others in mod or hippy gear, all talking together, it just didn't happen in the UK in my experience

Maybe in your peer group. We liked The Stones and The Beatles.

I'm too young to remember but as I understand it Beatles fans despised The Stones and vice versa.
AIUI that was mostly untrue - all the talk like that was PR hype designed to get media coverage, stoke the fans, and sell more records. Lennon said some waspish things, but he was often a little s**t.

Idiotic or not, that is exactly how it was, in theory anyway, as I was supposed to like the Stones and hate all mod music but I quite liked large chunks of each type of music but if someone liked the "enemys" music you would never admit it to your mates
And as Pete Waterman said - anybody who says they don't like Abba is saying they don't like pop music.

Well folks, I watched McCartney headlining Glastonbury this afternoon, and it was brilliant
(headlining at 80 no less!)

Alright his voice is not what it was but it was still brilliant all the same, he has way more energy than me 14 years his junior, I just hope I am still drawing breath if I lived that long, which I doubt

As to telling him to stop? you have got to be joking

And I quite like Abba (now, I didn't at the time ;-)

Back in the day your choice of music told the world who you were: mods v rockers, etc. I'm too young to remember but as I understand it Beatles fans despised The Stones and vice versa. I thought both were ancient has - beens, but what did I know in 1972? Pop was always unrelenting awful, no matter what era you choose. Anyone remember the Bay City Rollers? Neither do I, but they were huge for about 3 weeks apparently.

So - modern pop is no more horrific than, say, "The Birdie Song", or anything from Jive Bunny. You shouldn't expect great things from the 2022 version of Bananarama.

The real problem is that marketing is all about £€¥$ and never about talent or creativity. All this means is that you have to go rummaging for the good stuff. It is out there if you can find it - I am currently enjoying this:

However, I'm still listening to all the good old stuff: having an AC/DC revival at the moment, along with Camel and some of the heavierThin Lizzie offerings (Thunder and Lightening for eg) . The real problem is that with 60 years of cracking good music to choose from, new acts have to shout very loudly to get heard.

Personally I was always of the opinion that Lennon & McCartney as a team beat their solo work hands down; neither could capture their unique accomplishments on their own. But the real importance of The Beatles is that without them, we wouldn't have had the music revolution that gave us Jimmi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, etc., and the world would be a much poorer place.

Just for fun, I shall offer up this which is also on my current play list. "An oldie but goodie".

Watch the Stones stripped. A lot of the time they are just sitting around jammin and having a good time with some of the old blues stuff, brilliant. I was quite emotional watching it given the death recently of Charlie.

I thought Paul McCartney set at Glastonbury was excellent, particularly all the Beatles stuff. McCartney is a prolific song writer, but I'm not that keen on a lot of his solo stuff. As John Lennon sang ' The only thing you done was yesterday, and since you're gone you're just another day'. I do miss Lennon's acerbic wit 😄.

I thought Paul McCartney set at Glastonbury was excellent, particularly all the Beatles stuff. McCartney is a prolific song writer, but I'm not that keen on a lot of his solo stuff. As John Lennon sang ' The only thing you done was yesterday, and since you're gone you're just another day'. I do miss Lennon's acerbic wit 😄.
I often wonder what sort of PM Lennon would have made.:unsure:😃 😉

Latest posts

Back