SIP Spindle Moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameslee30

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I am now looking to upgrade my spindle moulder and have my eye on the SIP, non tilting model. From looking at it on the internet it looks like a copy of the charnwood/fox ones. Iv read a couple of reviews on the charnwood and people seem to be fairly happy with it.

Is there anything that i should know that might put me off these machines? As with the saw i just purchased, i am unfortunately not near to any stockists as far as i know. Well, apart from rutlands but they dont have a shop and im not sure if they actually hold a stock of these machines.

I would love to have a scheppach or a jet but i just dont have the budget at the moment. £600 really is tops i think. I already have a euro block and raised panel block so am not too bothered about it coming with tooling.

If anyone has one of these machines and is near to north derbyshire/sheffield and wouldnt mind me taking a look at theirs it would be really appreciated before i take the plunge and order one.

Many thanks in advance, James.

What sort of work are you doing?

If you are making lots of joinery where you need to take big cuts it will probably be to light, if you are making furniture and running mostly small mouldings you should be ok, although with your panel cutter you will have to take it in small cuts.

I had an SIP saw and would not buy another SIP machine, never could get the thing to stay square, the motor started to play up at about 3 years old and the screws and bolts where like cheese, so I would certainly go and look at one before spending your money.

Tom

tomatwark":z3l8q9jl said:
I had an SIP saw and would not buy another SIP machine, never could get the thing to stay square, the motor started to play up at about 3 years old and the screws and bolts where like cheese, so I would certainly go and look at one before spending your money.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I am surprised that you say that as I have had a 10" cast iron table saw for several years without any issue before upgrading it to the 12" cast iron table saw which I have had for about 4 years now and am still using. The 10" saw was sold to a shed making company opposite my premises and they are still using it and it has never let them down either.

Was yours a cast machine?

Rog

Hi. Yes i too read good things about the SIP saws, and would of bought one had i not preffered the sliding table arrangement of the jet.

Rog, many thanks for your review of the tilting model. It does sound like it does it job very well. Do you think they would of provided the same quality on the cheaper non tilting model? interestingly the non tilting model isnt listed on their website?

I wont be doing much in the way of large joinery work. The spindle will mainly be used for grooving door stiles and rails and raising panels. My current spindle does this, but i feel it lacks the power. I think this i mainly to do with it being an add-on attatchmeent for a schepach hm2 kombi. The spindle shaft is run via a belt and a couple of pulleys to take the power from the horizontal motor to the vertical spindle. When making cuts on this i can often hear it struggling with a 10x10mm groove in oak, even when going slowly.

Am i expecting too much from a single phase machine? im in no way expecting it to perform the same as a 3ph wadkin but am hoping to gain quite a bit in performance than my scheppach.

James.

I can only sing the praises of my SIP 12" table saw. I have had it for a couple of years now and give it some serious use and it has been very accurate and reliable for me.

Hi Rog

My saw was the 10" one.

I guess I must have had a Friday afternoon machine.

The sliding table was the main problem, no matter what you did it would not stay square, the motor was sorted and the guy who now has it uses it for cutting OSB and it does the job.

My new Scheppach has a similar sliding table and I set it up in about half an hour square and true, that being said it cost enough so it should be.

I may be being hard on SIP as there are enough good reports on here.

Getting back on topic

The thing I would add is that if you can afford to go up to the cost of a tilting spindle, you will not regret it, I have the Rojek one and keep finding more and more uses for the tiling spindle.

My Rojek is single phase and from memory is about 3hp and will cut a 45mm x 15mm without any problem.

Tom

Ok. I dont think i can justify doubling the cost and getting the tilting model at the moment though. What applications do you find it usefull for? I think in the past 4 years iv only had the need for it once. And overcame this by making a jig so the bed was effectively tilted.

The lower spec is only 1500w though, will this be enough? or will i find its still underpowered.

Yeh...not sure why you dont like felder, but its waaay out of my price range anyway.

As you can probably guess im not very good at making decisions and like to find out as much info as possible before buying large items.

Cheers, james.

Hi James

I keep finding more and more things to do with the tilting head.

I use it for chamfering also cutting moulds on an angle ( alot of the euro cutters look alot better when used slightly tilted)

I have looked the SIP machine and it looks ok, if you are just making furniture 2 hp should be enough providing you take bigger moulds in small bites.

If you are going to buy this over the net give John a ring at Kendal Tools, he has been selling machines for years and will give you advice, I have just bought my new Scheppach saw from him.

http://www.kendaltools.co.uk/cgi-bin/tr ... d_SIP01576

Tom

Ok Tom thanks for your help. Yeh i could only really see myself using it to cut chamfers, and if really desperate i could always get an angled block for that. Interesting that you say the euro cutters look better tilted. Will have a search see if i can find any comparisons/pictures of this.

Thanks for the link to kendal, i have a feeling they were the cheapest i found as well which is good! If only rutlands had a shop and stocked them (website says ship direct which im assuming means doesnt come from their warehouse), as they are only down the road!!

James

Should try Scott and Sargeant for spindle moulders....they have same machine from same factory bundled with sliding table and cutter block... And lots of other ones on display at their showroom near London

Modedit: user warned about blatant use of advertising a business outside appropriate premium channels. Further abuse of the rules will result in suspension of the account. Might I suggest that with 4 posts in credit, "reading" the forum rules would be a good place to start!

If you are into changing history you could just as well direct people to the reputable machine builder J Sagar&Co of Canal Works, Halifax Yorkshire. They closed down in 1958 but according to your time loop theory they should still answer the phone just like this prospective machine buyer would still be looking for a machine.

Back