SIP pillar drill and P/T questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mike,
there are several manufacturers now making the radial arm drills, ferm,rexon,axminsters perform and scheppach etc. i have not seen many of them in any of the wokshops i've been in and i'm sure that if you needed that kind of capacity they woul be worth their weight but if your looking for a general bench or pedestal drill i would avoid the extra expence and stick to standard models. these machines are also very top heavy and can tip over if not bolted down well.
cheers, jonny.

pooka":2dvd8hfm said:
Also, the same supplier says that the SIP P/T is basically the same machine as the Scheppach HMS 260ci, but with different packaging (and half the price). I have to say I am very sceptical about this, but does anyone know whether he is close to the mark or completely misinformed?

Thanks.

Copy of the elektra bekcum, more like. I have had mine for a couple of years without incident - fantastic machine, fantastic value

Mike B said:
Hi

Whilst on this thread, has anyone got/tried/seen either of the two Scheppach drills?? Look quite interesting with the variable depth throat...

Cheers
Mike

I stuck a silver steel bar in the chuck of a scheppach at a show a year or so ago, it had shockingly bad runout for the price.

I was quite surprised to see the axminster as editors choice - it was one of the drills I gave the silver steel bar test to during the same woodworking show and it too failed the test. If you can ever see yourself doing any precision drilling or using a plug cutter - don't buy a drill with lots of runout. - you'll be kicking yourself. Look for a decent second hand drill - even single phase Meddings pillar drills go for reasonable prices from time to time on ebay.

MBK

Back