SIP P/T - Finding a fix for this...?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandan

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all,
The last time I used my SIP 01344 P/T the thicknesser height adjust started skipping so I thought I should take a look at it before I used it again.
Upon inspection, it seems all has not been right with the mechanism for some time:

Thats a view from underneath of the tensioner sprocket, which looks a little odd to me, here's what I found when I took it off:

So that round thing is very much not a round thing any more.
The sprocket was bolted up so tight that it didn't rotate, and the tensioner was set so tight that the chain just wore it smooth!
I could replace this with pretty much anything round and it would still do it's job of tensioning, but I looked at the sprockets on the 4 acme screws that raise and lower the plate and 3 of them are also very worn, does anyone have a lead on where I might find a replacement for these? The SIP spares site does not list them of course, the manual just describes them as chain sprocket z-15 t-6 (being teeth and chain pitch respectively I think)
I can't seem to find any sprockets online apart from ones for motorbikes, anyone have any ideas?

It seems a waste to buy a whole new machine just for the sake of 4 little sprockets!

Here's the part I need to replace, you can see the difference between the most and least worn ones:

It fits an 8mm shaft, any ideas where I might get something like this?

Of course you can buy sprockets from any good power transmission places
eBay search set to reject bike and motor bike related words will get you there or
Bearing boys
Simply bearings
Bolton engineering products
Will sort you out.
They come with just a pilot hole bored through and you will need to machine them to fit your needs

Thanks, most places I found did not go down to such a small chain pitch but I think I might have found something now, gearsandsprockets.co.uk do something that looks very close...

Evening all. Re the plate adjustment chain tensioning system. I've recently replaced the four sprockets attached to the acme screws that adjust the plate, mentioned in the above. In doing so I removed the bracket on which the tensioner sprocket is mounted. When I tried to replace bracket and sprocket I was unable to fix the bracket to the main frame without the sprocket putting excessive tension on the chain. Unfortunately I did not take a pic of the assembly before dismantling. Can anyone provide a pic of what it should look like?

Back