SIP bandsaws - good price, but are they worth it....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc67

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a bandsaw for some rough work (mainly cutting up logs - yes I'm lazy), and have come across this one (can't post the link apparently as I am nnew member - but it is a SIP 14" Wood bandsaw and satand for £450)

As I say, I am mainly after it for cutting logs for the fire, but I am a keen DIYer and woud like to be able to use it for some real wood work as well. Looks to be a good price, has good throat (340mm) and cutting height (230mm), and reasonable power (2hp). Does anyone have experience of these and if so was it good or bad please?

No one has any comments on these then - I actually took the plunge and bought one from Rutlands yesterday as they had their 10% offer on. It was the SIP 1444 model, which shouldbe fine for me for cutting logs down, and any otther work I put through it as well.

I know I just spotted that - I was gutted, only ordered it two days ago. Will have to see what they can do about that...

Just one bit of advice, throw away the blade that comes with it and fit a decent one from Tuffsaws or similar - the blade supplied is absolute cr#p!

mickthetree":2ildkdyy said:
Am I missing something? do they still sell powertools? Thought they stopped?

What, Rutlands? They were selling it a couple of days ago (atleast I hope they were, I've just got the paperwork through for it, lol), although I have just checked on there and it no longer exists which is very strange. I wonder whether they removed it for the big sale that has just started?

Hi.
I bought a SIP 14 inch about six years ago and used it for cutting all sorts of green logs, mostly ash and oak.
When I first assembled it and tried it with a factory blade it was rubbish, however a new blade from TruCut at Ross on Wye totally transformed it.
I used it extensively for several years and it withstood loads of abuse as it is not designed for this work. The guy who bought my house was so impressed it became part of the sale!
Ear protection is a must, noisy as hell and also spare drive belt is a good idea.
Never used it for any fine detail work so can't comment on that side of things.
Regards
Chris

Well, my SIP Bandsaw (model 01444) has arrived, and I got it up and running at the weekend. Given I am a novice and have nothing to compare against, it seems to be a good saw. Even the blade it came with makes quick work of the logs I have had to cut down to length so far. I have no doubt for more detailed work I will be consulting with Tuffsaws for a better (or more suitable) blade. I must admit I don't find it too noisy - maybe my hearing is just bad, lol.

Interesting thing regarding purchasing it from Rutlands - I managed to get it when their offer was 10% off (as I rang them up and asked about it rather than trying to deal with the website). When the offer changed to 15% off it mysteriously disappeared fom their website and it has only recently come back (at a substantially higher price than before). Given what I saved I am glad I bought it when I did.

Back