SIP 50ltr dust extractor filter bags

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

segovia

Established Member
Reaction score
My 5Lt SIP dust collector has these flimsy paper bags over the filter

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293665836079
I am looking for an alternative, I was thinking of a large bag cut so it fits inside the collector with the edges around the rim of the lid, does that make sense. Do away with the bags over the filter. Any ideas if it will work?

If it's the extractor type I think it is, the bag is suctioned inwards towards the filter, so a large bag may not work. I have used Henry hoover bags carefully turned inside out as a cheap alternative.

If you want better dust extraction you need to go with one that has the filter bags on the outlet of the fan,. And then they are much bigger.

As I have just upgraded my extractor vacuum to an M class I noticed that bags weren't cheap so I have just installed a cyclone on my Triton dust bucket. The result is that this removes most of debris and dust and it increased the vacuum as I removed the Tritons cloth filter. So it will take ages to fill the actual vacuum bags. The main time I will use the vacuum direct is when cutting mdf and hardwoods. Maybe worth considering.

I have a Record DX 4000 extractor which has paper bags over the cartridge filters (twin motors). You can buy another large filter for it which sits in the drum and hangs over the edge which improves the filtration further, whether you can use just the large filter in place of the bags I don't know. You can also buy small reusable cloth bags to replace the paper bags.

Be aware many of the vacuum style ones blow the filtered air through the motor itself to cool it, the one I had was a brushed motor so dust can quickly clog the motor brushes if run without the paper filter. The motor gets quite got as well.

As I have just upgraded my extractor vacuum to an M class I noticed that bags weren't cheap so I have just installed a cyclone on my Triton dust bucket. The result is that this removes most of debris and dust and it increased the vacuum as I removed the Tritons cloth filter. So it will take ages to fill the actual vacuum bags. The main time I will use the vacuum direct is when cutting mdf and hardwoods. Maybe worth considering.

I did think of a Cyclone and remove the filter from the SIP, did you say you exclude the Cyclone when cutting MDF and HArdwoods, why is that? My SIP is connected to my 22-44 drum sander for 90% of the time. Do you think a Cyclone would be beneficial?

I have a Record DX 4000 extractor which has paper bags over the cartridge filters (twin motors). You can buy another large filter for it which sits in the drum and hangs over the edge which improves the filtration further, whether you can use just the large filter in place of the bags I don't know. You can also buy small reusable cloth bags to replace the paper bags.

That was my plan, do away with the bags.

I did think of a Cyclone and remove the filter from the SIP, did you say you exclude the Cyclone when cutting MDF and HArdwoods, why is that? My SIP is connected to my 22-44 drum sander for 90% of the time. Do you think a Cyclone would be beneficial?
Hi Sigovia, ok so its a few years since I looked into extraction and the current regulations. Mainly to protect myself/others who come into the garage when I'm working I checked up, since I was a joiner in a workshop recommendations have changes. MDF and hardwood dusts now are baddies (always have been really) so I decided a class M. So my vacuum (Trend 35A ) will give class M. If I was to cut the bad materials via the Cyclone in-line some dust would fly about when emptying the cyclone bin and therefore I decides to not use the cyclone on MDF and hardwoods have a bad reputation. Only cut and planed pine so far but the bucket is filling up and the vac will take ages to fill unless I get into more particle boards or hardwood when I will extract straight to the vac as it has a seal on the bag to empty it. Any dust can't be good so I'm looking at possibly a mask for sanding especially and have an air cleaner I might/will put into use. Early days yet as I only have just got my garage "workshop" back after 4 years of my son running his machines in there. He now has an industrial unit ;) My biggest annoyance is all the different connector sizes and pipes, what a farce surely tool makers should standardised grrrrr! and most new table saws don't have crown guard extraction. Hah the reviews I watched did have extraction on, the I bought a Bosch and they'd "modified" the crown guard.

Be aware many of the vacuum style ones blow the filtered air through the motor itself to cool it, the one I had was a brushed motor so dust can quickly clog the motor brushes if run without the paper filter. The motor gets quite got as well.

I for
Hi Sigovia, ok so its a few years since I looked into extraction and the current regulations. Mainly to protect myself/others who come into the garage when I'm working I checked up, since I was a joiner in a workshop recommendations have changes. MDF and hardwood dusts now are baddies (always have been really) so I decided a class M. So my vacuum (Trend 35A ) will give class M. If I was to cut the bad materials via the Cyclone in-line some dust would fly about when emptying the cyclone bin and therefore I decides to not use the cyclone on MDF and hardwoods have a bad reputation. Only cut and planed pine so far but the bucket is filling up and the vac will take ages to fill unless I get into more particle boards or hardwood when I will extract straight to the vac as it has a seal on the bag to empty it. Any dust can't be good so I'm looking at possibly a mask for sanding especially and have an air cleaner I might/will put into use. Early days yet as I only have just got my garage "workshop" back after 4 years of my son running his machines in there. He now has an industrial unit ;) My biggest annoyance is all the different connector sizes and pipes, what a farce surely tool makers should standardised grrrrr! and most new table saws don't have crown guard extraction. Hah the reviews I watched did have extraction on, the I bought a Bosch and they'd "modified" the crown guard.

I forgot about M class, a bit of a joke really. I was routing some channels in MDF with my Festool Router and the Festool M3 extractor at the weekend and there was dust everywhere. I ran my filtration unit and went indoors for a couple of hours. It's very rare I use MDF for anything these days so the cyclone looks like a good option. I do put Indian Rosewood through my drum sander though which is where I have my SIP set up. I think I want to reduce the 4" hose on the drum sander as it pulls on the lid. I am not looking forward to the endless battle of getting connectors and reducers. I contacted a 3D printing company earlier in the year and they gave me reasonable prices for bespoke fittings. They stopped replying to my emails so I started to look at 3D printers myself. I would try one if I thought I had the space to put it.

I for

I forgot about M class, a bit of a joke really. I was routing some channels in MDF with my Festool Router and the Festool M3 extractor at the weekend and there was dust everywhere. I ran my filtration unit and went indoors for a couple of hours. It's very rare I use MDF for anything these days so the cyclone looks like a good option. I do put Indian Rosewood through my drum sander though which is where I have my SIP set up. I think I want to reduce the 4" hose on the drum sander as it pulls on the lid. I am not looking forward to the endless battle of getting connectors and reducers. I contacted a 3D printing company earlier in the year and they gave me reasonable prices for bespoke fittings. They stopped replying to my emails so I started to look at 3D printers myself. I would try one if I thought I had the space to put it.
Ooh you just gave me an idea! I think the same son has a 3D printer he hasn't used yet. Guess what? The very reason he hasn't used it yet is concern about the chemicals and also fumes given off, you couldn't make a story up like it :unsure: could use it outside on a dry day:ROFLMAO:

I am sure there was a thread on this forum, someone used a 3D printer with great success. All perfect fit and the same colour if your OCD is really bad (;-)

Back