SIP 10x6 planer/thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I've been offered an SIP 10x6 planer/thicknesser as a prezzie. :p I took my Maw shopping today and went to costco where I saw the machine for £329 and happened to mention that once I had my workshop completed I would be thinking of something similar. A bolt out of the blue my Maw said she would buy it for me as I have promised to make some pieces for her.
The question to you all is what's this machine like, is it any good, because I don't want her wasting her money (and I don't want to end up with a piece of rubbish cluttering up the new workshop gathering dust).
You can see it here http://www.planer-thicknessers.co.uk/ it's the first on the page the 01344.

all the best

Drew

Hi Drew

I have the very same SIP P/T and have owned it for about 7-8 months now. It is a copy of the Elektra - even the manual is the same :wink:

A fantastic piece of kit that you will not regret buying.

I am still using the first set of 'disposable' blades and haven't even reversed them to the other cutting face yet :lol: I bought a spare set of blades for about £18

Only setup issue I had was that blades were originally set too high (set as manual stated), once I re-set them I found the performance to be A*

Wax the thicknesser bed to get the best from it.

I have used mine on Oak, Ash, Pine, Mahogany and Beech and been happy every time. I use it every week and couldn't be without it.

I have experienced only 1 small problem and that is uneven wear in the rubber drive roller on thicknesser mode. I cannot currently take off more than 1mm in thicknessing mode and am expecting the replacement roller to arrive later this week.
I really think that the problem is my fault rather than th emachine itself as I tried to take very large cuts in thicknesser mode and jammed the wood damaging the roller.

Hi Drew,

I have the Axminster clone sold as the Perform planner thicknesser. I am well please with mine. :D One thing you do need is a dust/clip collector when using thicknessing mode, the shavings are not self clearing and tend to fall back into the cutter block, not good. :(

As Tony says the blades last well, I have not use the range of wood Tony has but have planed pine, iroko and cherry all with good results. If you search the forum you should find a picture or two of my machine. :D

Hi Drew,

I agree with both Dave and Tony, it is a very good machine. I have had the Elektra Beckum 260M for quite a few years now.
In my view the only weak point is the alloy fence, and it seemed i was forever having to reset it, BUT do not let this put you off because i have not heard anyone else complain about this so it might have only been my particular fence.

In use it has always given me a first class finish.

One thing to bear in mind is if you were buying the same planner/thicknesser badged as Elektra Beckum you would be paying double the price.

Since i bought my Axminster CT150DL planer i only use the 260M as a thicknesser and between the two of them i couldn't ask for more.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Mike.C

The machine works for me, BUT
The manual and fitting instructions (and lack of some important instructions) was a disgrace.
However some kind soul on this forum directed me to the Perform manual at the Axminster site and it solved my problems.

Ask Sip if they have written up a proper manual for this machine yet and if it is included with the package.

Hi all

Thanks for the feedback. With you all being so positive and my having a real good look at the machine my Maw insisted we go before they run out and she bought it today. Yep mothers know best. :lol:
It should be delivered on Friday, only thing is now it's going to be in its box until I get my workshop finished and fully secure. I think I'm going to be driven daft by the thought that its there and I cant get at it.

That's a nice tip about ther axminster site and the manual so i've been and downloaded it .

all the best

Drew

You will definately need help in unpacking the box Its B?><Zy heavy to get out and then put on the legs. Also my carrier had no equipment for getting it off the deck of the truck.

Cheerful Charlie!!!

I hope this p/t is as good as you say it is. On the basis of your feedback I've just bought an ex-demo SIP 10 x 6, as new, for £325. :)

I've just purchased the Axminster 'yellow' version which is due for delivery Friday :D :D :D

I understand that the jointer surface tables need treating with wax to get the best from the machine. What grade / make of wax would you p/t owners recommend ?

I use this one:
LUBO500_xl.jpg

On all machine tables and even hand tools as well. 8)

DaveL":29vcagje said:
I use this one:
LUBO500_xl.jpg

On all machine tables and even hand tools as well. 8)

Me too. Its great stuff. Makes quite a difference.

Adam

I have the Perform version, and I would second the above remarks. I think the fence is pretty poor - after I take it off to use the thicknesser mode, I quite often find it isn't square when replaced :x Also the locking lever for the fence now doesn't :cry: - splines inside have rounded, replaced it with a nut.

Having said all that , it planes wood well. I intend to get a dedicated thicknesser when funds allow, and just use the above for surface planing.

Colin

I guess the fence design is the same for the SIP /Perform and EB as it sounds like a common problem. I'll have to remember to check the fence everytime I switch modes :roll:

As I'm a 'hobby' user I'm not antcipating this to be a major issue although the splines rounding off sounds a bit of a concern. Not a good enough grade of material being used but you get what you pay for !

I've taken the advice on the wax and added it to my delivery for Friday.

Thanks for the feedback :D

Cheers
Trig.

Sonic":11afitmc said:
Also the locking lever for the fence now doesn't :cry: - splines inside have rounded, replaced it with a nut.

That has happened to me on my Perform machine. The bristol levers are soft cast iron, thats why they give up, Trend sell nice replacement ones made from a much better material.

Back