Members can turn off viewing Ads!

SIP 10x6 planer/thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Drew

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I've been offered an SIP 10x6 planer/thicknesser as a prezzie. :p I took my Maw shopping today and went to costco where I saw the machine for £329 and happened to mention that once I had my workshop completed I would be thinking of something similar. A bolt out of the blue my Maw said she would buy it for me as I have promised to make some pieces for her.
The question to you all is what's this machine like, is it any good, because I don't want her wasting her money (and I don't want to end up with a piece of rubbish cluttering up the new workshop gathering dust).
You can see it here http://www.planer-thicknessers.co.uk/ it's the first on the page the 01344.

all the best

Drew

A

Anonymous

Hi Drew

I have the very same SIP P/T and have owned it for about 7-8 months now. It is a copy of the Elektra - even the manual is the same :wink:

A fantastic piece of kit that you will not regret buying.

I am still using the first set of 'disposable' blades and haven't even reversed them to the other cutting face yet :lol: I bought a spare set of blades for about £18

Only setup issue I had was that blades were originally set too high (set as manual stated), once I re-set them I found the performance to be A*

Wax the thicknesser bed to get the best from it.

I have used mine on Oak, Ash, Pine, Mahogany and Beech and been happy every time. I use it every week and couldn't be without it.

I have experienced only 1 small problem and that is uneven wear in the rubber drive roller on thicknesser mode. I cannot currently take off more than 1mm in thicknessing mode and am expecting the replacement roller to arrive later this week.
I really think that the problem is my fault rather than th emachine itself as I tried to take very large cuts in thicknesser mode and jammed the wood damaging the roller.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Drew,

I have the Axminster clone sold as the Perform planner thicknesser. I am well please with mine. :D One thing you do need is a dust/clip collector when using thicknessing mode, the shavings are not self clearing and tend to fall back into the cutter block, not good. :(

As Tony says the blades last well, I have not use the range of wood Tony has but have planed pine, iroko and cherry all with good results. If you search the forum you should find a picture or two of my machine. :D

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Drew,

I agree with both Dave and Tony, it is a very good machine. I have had the Elektra Beckum 260M for quite a few years now.
In my view the only weak point is the alloy fence, and it seemed i was forever having to reset it, BUT do not let this put you off because i have not heard anyone else complain about this so it might have only been my particular fence.

In use it has always given me a first class finish.

One thing to bear in mind is if you were buying the same planner/thicknesser badged as Elektra Beckum you would be paying double the price.

Since i bought my Axminster CT150DL planer i only use the 260M as a thicknesser and between the two of them i couldn't ask for more.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Mike.C

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
The machine works for me, BUT
The manual and fitting instructions (and lack of some important instructions) was a disgrace.
However some kind soul on this forum directed me to the Perform manual at the Axminster site and it solved my problems.

Ask Sip if they have written up a proper manual for this machine yet and if it is included with the package.

Drew

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Thanks for the feedback. With you all being so positive and my having a real good look at the machine my Maw insisted we go before they run out and she bought it today. Yep mothers know best. :lol:
It should be delivered on Friday, only thing is now it's going to be in its box until I get my workshop finished and fully secure. I think I'm going to be driven daft by the thought that its there and I cant get at it.

That's a nice tip about ther axminster site and the manual so i've been and downloaded it .

all the best

Drew

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
You will definately need help in unpacking the box Its B?><Zy heavy to get out and then put on the legs. Also my carrier had no equipment for getting it off the deck of the truck.

Cheerful Charlie!!!

RogerM

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope this p/t is as good as you say it is. On the basis of your feedback I've just bought an ex-demo SIP 10 x 6, as new, for £325. :)

Trigger

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just purchased the Axminster 'yellow' version which is due for delivery Friday :D :D :D

I understand that the jointer surface tables need treating with wax to get the best from the machine. What grade / make of wax would you p/t owners recommend ?

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
DaveL":29vcagje said:
I use this one:

On all machine tables and even hand tools as well. 8)
Me too. Its great stuff. Makes quite a difference.

Adam

Sonic

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the Perform version, and I would second the above remarks. I think the fence is pretty poor - after I take it off to use the thicknesser mode, I quite often find it isn't square when replaced :x Also the locking lever for the fence now doesn't :cry: - splines inside have rounded, replaced it with a nut.

Having said all that , it planes wood well. I intend to get a dedicated thicknesser when funds allow, and just use the above for surface planing.

Colin

Trigger

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess the fence design is the same for the SIP /Perform and EB as it sounds like a common problem. I'll have to remember to check the fence everytime I switch modes :roll:

As I'm a 'hobby' user I'm not antcipating this to be a major issue although the splines rounding off sounds a bit of a concern. Not a good enough grade of material being used but you get what you pay for !

I've taken the advice on the wax and added it to my delivery for Friday.

Thanks for the feedback :D

Cheers
Trig.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
Sonic":11afitmc said:
Also the locking lever for the fence now doesn't :cry: - splines inside have rounded, replaced it with a nut.
That has happened to me on my Perform machine. The bristol levers are soft cast iron, thats why they give up, Trend sell nice replacement ones made from a much better material.