SIP 01944 BMorticer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srt

Established Member
Reaction score
Having bought a brand new SIP BM yesterday,i set it up today to try it out and the fence is not at 90 degrees.When i clamp the work piece onto the morticer it pushes the work piece even further off the square producing very squint work! is this a product fault or is this just a case of you get what you pay for?

If it doesn`t accurately do the job it`s designed for then send it back.

Regardless of the price if Sip manufacture a mortiser it should do capable of doing the job it was intended for.

Shultzy":1prtoa43 said:
Fences are normally adjustable, have you made sure all the securing bolts are tightened.
Their are four screws securing the fence to the bed and i slackened all four thinking i may be able to adjust them accordingly but it was not the case and when fully tightened up when you put pressure on the work piece it moves the fence back further off the square.

I don't have a morticer but I would like to comment on a SIP sliding mitre saw I bought about 5 years ago. I thought SIP was a good make but have some doubts after reading various comments about their products. Again I suppose you get what you pay for and this cost me £135 (cheap when compared to Makita or DeWalt etc). It still works and the fence etc can be adjusted if it should get out of square. However the scale for making bevel cuts was a stick-on affair which lasted about 3 months before becoming unstuck and falling off. The laser guide lasted even less. There is a clamp which I removed because it was always in the way (fouled the saw housing). The main problem however, is dust extraction - I removed the pathetic little bag from the dust port and connected a domestic vacuum cleaner but it spewed out sawdust from the back of the blade. I tried my Axminster 63mm outlet extractor instead but no improvement. I shall rig up a chute to the Axminster and fix to the back, and use the vacuum cleaner on the dust port when I get a chance, but I think this issue is a serious drawback.

So, overall, not brilliantly designed but still going strong after 5 years (occasional use) and a very worthwhile piece of kit. Would I buy it again? Yes, unless of course I could get a better model at a similar or slightly higher price, as I could not justify buying one of the big names.

As a mitre saw, it works and can be set up to be (and stay) accurate despite some disappointing design flaws.
So regarding your morticer - if it has some minor flaws then that is something you might have to live with, having bought a budget priced tool. On the other hand if it can't be adjusted to cut square mortices then it should be returned as defective.

K

is this a product fault or is this just a case of you get what you pay for?

It's a product fault, but you do get what you pay for.... I would send it back, and look out for a decent second hand mortiser on ebay....

Back