SIP 01938...Thoughts??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah250617

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum so looking for advice/reviews. I've been looking at the SIP range of lathes. Particularly the 01938 with the swivel head. It appears to have everything I need and in the right price range as I'm just starting out. I can't seem to find any reviews anywhere 😤

I currently have an extremely rubbish, small lathe but to be fair it's served its purpose of helping me to decide whether I want to take the hobby further and I do!

If there is anyone out there who has used this lathe I'd love a bit of insight.

Many thanks

It looks like a variation on the old Axminster Perform CCL, not a bad lathe (my CCL is still going strong after 20 years) one drawback with the SIP version is the spindle thread size of 3/4“ x 16 tpi. Most lathes are now M33 x 3.5 pitch so that might limit chuck choice, also, the headstock and tailstock are of different morse taper sizes on this model for some obscure reason.
Dave

Thanks Dave. That's very helpful. There just aren't any reviews out there for this lathe which I thought odd. I've also been looking at the Charnwood models too. The reviews aren't too bad and to be fair I am still learning so don't want to spend big money on it but do want it to last a few years.

This lathe is quite likely the most documented lathe that exists.
I had to think which brand my SIP one was, as is badged by lots
Draper, Charnwood, Axi perform, and a gaggle of others.
I bought mine because it has a big cast iron bed, and induction motor so is a good basis to work on if something were to break or need to be upgraded.
A lot of other designs in that price range, (maybe a tiny bit less) have just some flexible square tubing or a single column that supposedly deforms.
Considering prices for these on the used market, it's easily another hundred quid or more for something else.

A few folks have had issues with the reeves drive pulleys breaking
but parts are available.
Many the video's you will see will be Harbor freight paint scheme.

The only difference in all of these would be possibly a different motor, obviously for the USA, but for European specs, I'm not sure?

You should be able to find the same model used as they pop up commonly enough, and hopefully a chuck included for a bit less money than new, as it might not much use to you otherwise.

If buying new, I'd be interested to see if the thread on the drive is the same on all brands, I notice the Harbor freight has beefier threads.

Is there a preference I wonder, and would it be easier to get a chuck with a certain pitch?

Back