SIP 01490 Variable Speed Woodturning Lathe needs a repair...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djmitch62

Reaction score
My SIP 01490 Variable Speed Woodturning Lathe is broken - the "Pulley - spindle (R)" to be precise (according to the User Manual). A small chunk has broken off this pulley and the Rack that moves in and out to adjust the lathe speed is jammed in the break, preventing the spindle from turning. I have found the price of the part - best part of £37. Can't find a local qualified engineer who could look at it for me (don't feel it's something I could do myself). Contacted SIP and they put me in touch with the most 'local' firm they used. They are based in Manchester. I'm in Chesterfield! I phoned this firm and, taking into account the distance they'd have to travel, it would cost £201, plus parts!! The lathe itself only cost me £250.

Does anyone know whether I can get this repaired for a more affordable price?

Thanks.

Sounds like it got to be a DIY job

If you post 4 more times on the forum you can upload photos of the problem

Bound to be someone in our turning section that has the same lathe as you

If it was put together when new , it will come apart :wink:

Maybe its best to post this topic in the turning section as well

I would say you can repair it yourself.

problem is you lack confidence in your ability to do so. So look around for a few things.
1) Have a look at the OWWM.org site. This shows old kit being rebuilt including the complex industrial stuff. Look at the general techniques and realise that you will have or can buy most of the stuff needed cheaply. Look for items jammed up and see how they were released

2) Do you know a car mechanic. Not one of those modern nodding dog types who fix nothing except to change parts but one who has rebuild an engine or two. Just ask for advice on how to remove the pulley and jammed broken off bit.

3) Your pulley sounds as though it is now trashed so you will need to remove it and replace it. The good news is that you do not need to buy the manufacturers stuff to do this it can be bought much less expensively elsewhere.

Look at the pulley and find out how it is attached. There are two basic methods a) an allen key ( a hexagonal headed machine screw) through the pulley and bearing on a shaft or b) a push fit to tight tolerances and maybe a collar to hold it still. Have a look and remove whatever you find. Allen keys are cheap. You might need to find a puller ( car parts shop) for the pulley to get it off but its already broken so you don't need to worry about breaking it. The jammed broken bit will either then fall out or still be jammed. If jammed then you will need to see if you can use a punch and hammer to unjamm it, cut it, pull it, etc etc. Try not to mangle any screw threads close by, don't mangle the shaft its on either.

You can do it....its really applied common sense 80% and some touch based sensing 10% and some feel for whats happening 10%...you can do it.

Photo's when you can do that will get you much more info and support.

Al

Thanks for the advice and offers of help guys, I'm going to put a few more posts on here so that I can then post a picture (I tried to yesterday but it wouldn't let me, didn't realise about the 'five posts' thing).

ok, have resized photo so hopefully can post it now...

Attachments

• DSC00123.JPG
    DSC00123.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 112
djmitch62":1wxqsvpo said:
...and the whole thing

if you look at the RHS of the pulley and down towards the shaft you should be able to see a raised squarish portion of the pulley casting just above the shaft...in that I can see a small open hole....in that will be the allen key you need to release to get the pulley off.

The pictures are a bit out of focus so I can not tell if there is anything on the end of the shaft but if there is it will most likely unscrew.

Al

whilst it could be repaired by using coldcasting metal it is unlikely to balance at the speeds it will run so a replacement is required a simple turning job for a competant engineer, though may be cheaper to buy a new one. Mass produced is usually cheaper.

Hi All,

The lathe is fixed!!

Thanks very much for all the advice - it was invaluable. I got the parts from Axminster, as suggested, for a fraction of the manufacturer's price. A,nd yes, the people at Axminster are great; really helpful and the stuff arrived the next day.

An especially big thankyou goes to Matt, who came round this morning and helped me with the repair (well, to be honest, he did all the hard work whilst I watched and learned!!). I now feel confident that I will be able to take on this kind of repair myself in the future.

The lathe is now running better than ever, and much quieter!

Thanks again, keep up the good work.

(I have just completed my first piece in over a fortnight - woohoo!).

Hi, I took the advise of this message board and order my replacement pulleys from axminster but the center holes were to big. Does anyone have a part number. Thanks :)

Latest posts

Back