SIP 01486 Rip Fence replacement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markalanious

Reaction score
hi guys

Hoped my first post would be more interesting but need some help.

I bought a SIP 01486 Band saw yesterday on ebay for what I thought was a great price of £330. Today the couple who have sold it have emailed me to say the handle on the rip fence has broken as they were getting it ready for me to collect.

They said they are looking for a replacement that they will buy me FOC but I'm googling around and I can't find any of them and on the SIP website it says product discontinued.

Is there anything i can do? is there a 'generic' fence i can use?

Thanks in advance
Mark

My old SIP 14'' suffered the same problem, I replaced it with a Kreg fence.. they're not cheap but they really are a big improvement over the original fence.

I have exactly the same model with the same problem - I guess it is a weakness with that model.

Replacements are no longer available, and I avoided third party fences because of cost. I get by perfectly well with a pair of long nosed pliers.

I have exactly the same model with the same problem - I guess it is a weakness with that model.

Replacements are no longer available, and I avoided third party fences because of cost. I get by perfectly well with a pair of long nosed pliers.
I didn't even think to try that. I'll give it a go.

Thanks all for the help. Picked up the bandsaw yesterday and it's in great nick (minus the fence handle).

Hi Mark,

I'll have to check the model # of mine, but it's a SIP, the fence handle snapped (thin white metal casting) and I repaired it successfully.

Search on me and bandsaw fence as I'm pretty sure I wrote up the repair - M4 machine screws added as reinforcement for a lot of Araldite, IIRC.

It worked fine for years, but I've since upgraded to an Axminster tall fence. I have a horrid feeling I have since thrown out the bits, but I will have a look.

If I still have it it's yours FOC, but I do need to look and confirm the model. Bear in mind too it's a serviceable but not wonderful fence, even when fixed up!

No promises but I'll reply here either way later today...

Regards, E.

Found my original write-up (and the pics are there too):
Broken bandsaw fence lever - I think I fixed it!

[later] Mine is a SIP 1486. I have found the fence itself (the extrusion), but I think I threw out the clamping lever and sliding saddle. It's still a pretty acceptable little saw, and recently changing the bearings (a whole 20 quid or so from Simply Bearings, IIRC), has got it running sweetly again. Also you can get the tyres for it fairly easily too.

I will keep looking, if I do find the bits I'll report back.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

I'll have to check the model # of mine, but it's a SIP, the fence handle snapped (thin white metal casting) and I repaired it successfully.

Search on me and bandsaw fence as I'm pretty sure I wrote up the repair - M4 machine screws added as reinforcement for a lot of Araldite, IIRC.

It worked fine for years, but I've since upgraded to an Axminster tall fence. I have a horrid feeling I have since thrown out the bits, but I will have a look.

If I still have it it's yours FOC, but I do need to look and confirm the model. Bear in mind too it's a serviceable but not wonderful fence, even when fixed up!

No promises but I'll reply here either way later today...

Regards, E.
Sorry been away with the kids and just seen this. Thank you very much for the offer and taking the time to help me out with this. Much appreciated!

Back