SIP 01444 Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andycase

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Am about decided on this saw, new, £357.30 + VAT

Am going to get some good blades for it.

Although it says 25mm blade capacity, do you think this might be a problem?
I want to resaw some 6 -8 inch softwood occasionally - should i go for a 3/4" blade instead? Would i struggle?

Want to order today so replies are very welcome

Please ignore
Went to purchase it and they quoted me the wrong price - £493.65 + VAT is the real price. I reckon they quoted me their cost price!!

Well done SIP - I told them that for that money i may as well get a Record Power BS350 @ £515.83 (5 year warranty) and can collect tomorrow.

So disappointing when that happens

Your original question's a good one.

I think many manufacturers are hopelessly optimistic when it comes to quoting the maximum blade width on bandsaws. It's easy to say such and such a machine will take a 3/4" blade, or 1", or 1 1/4". But it's much more difficult to make a frame and tensioning mechanism that can genuinely achieve adequate tension to support that largest quoted blade size.

You'll almost certainly find the best cuts, even with thicker timber, comes with blade widths far narrower than the quoted maximum. Also, I've never found softwoods to be particularly easier on a bandsaw than European hardwoods. Hit a big pine knot and the blade will want to deflect around it, so you'll still need adequate tension, and in practise adequate tension means a narrower blade.

Thanks Custard
Ive just this minute ordered the Record POwer BS350.
I am going to order a Tuffsaw Carbon blade - apparently they dont need as much tension - so will get a 3/4 and a smaller one for curves.

Very excited.

To be honest, even if SIP had come back to me with a better price, i am that irritated with them for getting it wrong i wouldnt have said yes anyway. Imagine if i had been re-selling it (which is what i do with other non woodwork items). My customer would think i was rubbish.

Very annoying, but the Record is a slightly smaller machine with a smaller motor - 1 1/2hp against the SIP 2hp.

Hi Roger

Good point.
I've read so much about all these machines - theres a lot of good reviews about the Record Power one. I thought that Softwood would be my main use for ripping, and a good blade from Tuffsaws would mean this has enough capacity for me.

I hope

I'm sure the Record will be absolutely fine. The parts all originate from the same factories in the far-east anyway. :)

The tensioning issue is very important. The more steel in the blade, the more tension it requires. Few machines that we are likely to have as hobby woodworkers will adequately tension a 1" blade. It does help if it is thin-kerf (less steel) but perfectly adequate results can be got with a 1/2" 3TPI skip-tooth blade.
Ian, as you have found out, is your man for blades.
S

Back