SIP 01314 10" SLIDING COMPOUND MITRE SAW WITH LASER

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry Burgess

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about buying a mitre saw On E bay they are going for £129 delivered with a 2 year wwarranty Are they any good ?
I just want to use it for mitre work mainly 45 degrees. It takes time to set it up on my Triton extension table and I like the idea of preset angles. I already have a mitre saw stand.

I'd like to know also,as have been thinking of getting one - like the idea of the depth stop for trenching.

All opinions welcome :D

I got the Axminster awsm10 couple of years ago and it came with a
CMT 60t blade cuts look like glass on crossgrain.
No trenching facility though.

PowerTool":3d5um5tg said:
I'd like to know also,as have been thinking of getting one - like the idea of the depth stop for trenching.

All opinions welcome :D

Trenching does not work well on most mitre saws especially with the wider pieces -not consistent from front to back

I bought one of these at the summer Good Timber show. I'd spoken to Tony who also owns one. Mine cost £135, which was a show special discount.

I'm cladding my workshop at present and this saw has been the work horse for the project. I like it a lot and regard it as very good value. It cuts through several boards at a time with ease, it is accurate and there is no play on the travelling arms. I haven't used the trenching facility yet but the demonstration at the show convinced me that it would be capable of making accurate repeat cuts.

My advice? Go buy.

Gill

Coincidentally I read a review of it in the Nov 2004 issue of The Woodworker this morning.

Their only main crit was that the blade did not give as good a finish as could be expected. Easily resolved!

Other than that they were mostly full of praise, marking it 4.5/5 for value and 3.7/5 for Performance.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the feedback - think you have put it on my Christmas list (from me to me,so don't think I will be disappointed :roll: )

Powertool
My friend Brian-next-door has one (it was on Special at £99 in a local ironmongers a couple of years ago). It doesn't have a trenching facility, that was an afterthought, and yes, the blade is rubbish.
BUT.
With a Freud blade on it, it is a smashing saw. Accurate and very, very clean. I was surprised, because I expected it to be second rate. It is every bit as good as my DW RAS. For angled cuts I don't bother with my RAS anymore, I take it round to Brian's and get a cup of coffee at the same time!
Go for it.
Cheers
Steve

Barry Burgess":txe44wp1 said:
I have been thinking about buying a mitre saw On E bay they are going for £129 delivered with a 2 year wwarranty Are they any good ?
I just want to use it for mitre work mainly 45 degrees. It takes time to set it up on my Triton extension table and I like the idea of preset angles. I already have a mitre saw stand.

Yes. I have owned one for over a year - superb with no play in guides and very accurate. I am mightily impressed with it

PS the laser doesn't cu the wood though

Tony":1i6pe4ls said:
PS the laser doesn't cut the wood though...

:)

In fact, the laser doesn't do much at all. Waste of time. For it to be any use it needs to be
a) Razor sharp - it isn't, OR
b) Accurately the thickness of the kerf, it isn't

Don't buy it for the laser or you WILL be disappointed. Just buy it because it's a decent saw at an attractive price.

Brian bought it for picture framing, and we built a custom fence for mitring. I rather hope it will be coming to mag near you any month soon!

Cheers
Steve

Mine came with the laser in perfect alignment with one edge of the blade (the right hand edge, as you look at it). Perhaps I was just lucky :) .

Gill

That's interesting Gill, are you saying it is actually useable, because Brian's is so fuzzy it really is useless. Rest of the saw is great.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

Yes, mine is useable :) . The laser line is perfectly clear (I'd say it's less than 1mm thick, although I haven't measured it
icon_borgsmile.gif
) and its right hand edge is aligned with the right hand edge of the blade supplied with the saw.

As I said, perhaps I just got lucky
icon_lucky.gif

Gill

I don't have a laser to my name (all togther now - Ahhhh) but doesn't the line have an optimum point at which its accurately focused? Could there be room for adjustment?

Dabblin' in things wot she doesn't wot of, Alf

Back