Single phase to 3 phase advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProShop

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to run a Sedgewick 1.5hp 3 phase Morticer from single phase.
And in the most cost effective way possible.

Any advice much appreciated

:) :)

Every 3 phase machine i've looked at im told i need to change the motor for single phase :cry:

Hi Felderman ,

You can use an invertor to run a 3 phase motor from 240 volts , not all are capable so you need to check the specification ..

I would guess you need to look for a 2 or 2.2 Kw rating for a 1.5 HP motor.

Hope this helps

Smurf

Hi John

Best to get a new (second hand or recon) motor. Inverter will probably cost quite a bit and be inefficient

Felderman,
Its actually very simple.....connect a motor run capacitor and a motor start capacitor via some simple wiring and it'll run. ideally it wants to be a motor that can run on 240 3phase or 440v 3phase.
Have a look at my rotary converter page it has everything on their.

Ian

www.iandalziel.co.uk

Many thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Picking up the machine later in the week, it's been stood lonely in a workshop corner for over 4 years unused, so I'll see what options are best when I get it into a decent home and give it the once over. :D :D

Hi John, as Ian has said it's not too difficult, there are three choices (1) single phase motor with a three phase generator on the end, to which you connect your machine (2) Solid state convertor (3) Invertor with full waveform & voltage control which also can give you speed control as well but probably not much use on a morticer. I've a hunch that Ian's solution is probably (2) and most likely the favorite for your application.

Many thanks again for the very useful posts.
I picked the machine up today and it needs a very good clean up and a lot of fettling.
And then decide which way to go.

Thanks once again :D :D :D

Back